Forum for snow- and landkiters
Kite Minnesota
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite Minnesota » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:02 pm

I'm out...
Last edited by Kite Minnesota on Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:36 am, edited 6 times in total.

alap

Postby alap » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:23 am

1. hey, its your kids, and its your life

2. MotoCross, Hockey, BMX, Wakeboarding, SnowBoarding, Skiing is very tame comparable to Kiting. the main difference that in all those sports the rider has way more control than in kiting. Don't go over steep terrain, anticipate terrain, don't push on the gas, etc. - the rider has the control, while in the gusty weather with little body weight it's way more difficult to anticipate.

3. Plus the kids don't have the right feel of danger (many adults don't have it)

4. Plus kiting itself is extremelly easy but when shit hits the fan... it all happens so fast. I don't think little kids can anticipate this.

And yes the videos clearly show that your boys have a lot of room for improovement in the snow (ski/board) department, which is only natural.

I understand that you are very proud of achievments of your boys (I am the dad myself and I rember how happy I was when at age 14 my son statred beat me consistently in skiing, great-great feeling, now he is 18 and does things in kiting I can't even think of doing myself). But they have so much ahead of them at age 10 so there is really no rush, and no need to take those risks.

But of course its your life...

alap

Postby alap » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:27 am

forgot to answer your Q, if I kite...

yes, of course I do, for at least 3 years now, and so does my son (otherwise why would i read and write this).

He started skiing at 6, windsurfing at 12, kiting at 15

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:28 am

as far as i can see he's not even hooked in so there is no risk, lofting, the bar will just get ripped out of his hands, and collapse on the ground as its a nasa wing.

zim
Medium Poster

Postby zim » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:25 am

15 is the bare minimum
:o
Age doesn't really matter; I am 13 and i have been kiteboarding and kitesnowbarding whenever i can for the past year. Those kids are really well prepared. When i started i couldn't even ollie a skateboard or stop on a snowboard. i have gotten mutch better though. My parents are really safty oriented but sometimes that makes things more dangerous. Because they dont kite or do any kind of extream sport they sometimes do things that really get me in trouble like grabbing me by my saftey leash or catching my kite and putting it down in the power. It is really cool to see other kids getting into the sport!

Return to “Snow / Land”