Forum for snow- and landkiters
sandyisland
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

northeast snowkiters/ any game?

Postby sandyisland » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:16 pm

starting to Jones....all the surfaces round here are crap with not much hope...still to frozen to kitesurf. Anyone got any light on this subject? Will drive to ride.

thanks,

Mike

duckman
Medium Poster

Postby duckman » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:48 pm

Game off in the Albany area. Warm temps have made a slushy stew on top of the ice with no real cold or snow in the forecast until next week. I'm heading to the coast for some riding on liquid although if it keeps raining here there might be enuff standing water on top of the ice to ride my kite board rather than my snowboard.

timba15
Medium Poster

Postby timba15 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:10 pm

Does this mean its the end of snowkiting for the winter ?

Cold Island
Rare Poster

Postby Cold Island » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:13 pm

Mike,
I went out on skis yesterday on Lake Champlain. No snow. Just a warm ice surface that was pretty edgeable. Wish I brought the GPS, cause I was feeling like I was in world record speed category. Holy crap you can go fast on skis on ice and a 20-25 kt wind. Flying a 9 meter Takoon. Blazing speed runs. I have hit 60 mph on a kiteboard and windsurfing sail, and this felt close. I highly recommend you try it. I could even make GS turns with aggressive edging. No jumping.

Gary

sandyisland
Medium Poster

Postby sandyisland » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:05 am

the surface on sandy pond did loosen up in the afternoon so we could get a edge in and rip on the strong NW.
what a sweet fast ride snowice can be..but bone chattering hard .in the late afternoon the temp dropped and surface firmed , I just started sliding sideways in the gusts . ..I did sneak a few jumps in and now feel about 2 inches shorter after the landings on cement. Their is a smidgen of snow in the forecast and cold at night so it looks like game on for a bit. :lol: Winter does have a habit of hanging around Upstate this time of year.

stormboarding
Frequent Poster

Postby stormboarding » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:11 am

Enough new snow to fuel the fire...

There was about 1" of snow on top of just edgeable ice at the Sand Bar today. Not enough wind to go crazy like Gary over the weekend but a lovely 6-9 kts and a slick enough surface that I could cruise on a Frenzy 9.5 and James (at 240lbs) on a 12m.

It snowed some more here in the Mad River Valley and some in the forecast later in the week so we're looking at game on again...I hope, I hope, I hope!

Think snow and breeze...

rzm

duckman
Medium Poster

Postby duckman » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:34 pm

Game back on at Great Sacandaga Lake (30 miles NW of albany). I went up to the lake yesterday and found about 3 inches of snow on top of the refrozen lake surface. There's a few inches of snow predicted today and winds over 20 forecasted for today and Saturday and 10 to 15 Sunday. Temps should stay below freezing through tomorrow afternoon---low 30's so cover should last the weekend :thumb:

sandy pond

Postby sandy pond » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:53 pm

yup...game on here also, in fact the lake effect machine has been turned on low with 6-8 inches forecast in the bands just east of the lake (Ontario) winds are currently west @ 32-37mph and forecasted in the 20's on Saturday and in the teens on Sunday. Sandy Pond still has 18in of ice with snow pack on top. My sailing buddy has committed to yoga class with his wife on Saturday.....I just wanted to thank him in advance for the epic session that will follow for his sacrifice. :dance: winter has returned!

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:46 pm

should be fast and wild at Sandbar tomorrow. NOt much snow, but a very edgeable surface.

Gary

duckman
Medium Poster

Postby duckman » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:13 pm

Great to see winters back here for a bit. Its 18 to 24 W with snow and thunder :o Might have been lightning but couldn't see it through the snow.

Return to “Snow / Land”