Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:15 pm

On 2002-09-12 15:03, marina wrote:
RE: Wipika, have talked to the N. America distributor (also super great guy) and there is new stuff coming from Wipika for 2003. The new owner of Wipi is very wealthy and has been involved in extreme sports for awhile (produces UP paragliders, hangliders and accessories) so I think Wipika will still be a strong brand with product to stand behind the name. They certainly have the financial backing.
Is that the same UP Sports that built hang gliders in the US designed by Roy Hagger?

I heard they were run out of the US by lawyers and law suits. Is this true?

Could it be happening to kites next?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:22 pm

On 2002-09-12 15:15, Dwight wrote:
On 2002-09-12 15:03, marina wrote:
RE: Wipika, have talked to the N. America distributor (also super great guy) and there is new stuff coming from Wipika for 2003. The new owner of Wipi is very wealthy and has been involved in extreme sports for awhile (produces UP paragliders, hangliders and accessories) so I think Wipika will still be a strong brand with product to stand behind the name. They certainly have the financial backing.
Is that the same UP Sports that built hang gliders in the US designed by Roy Hagger?

I heard they were run out of the US by lawyers and law suits. Is this true?

Could it be happening to kites next?
http://www.upsports.com is the same logo used by the original hang glider company. Is his store owned by the Wipika guy too?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-09-12 15:23 ]</font>

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MissionMan » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:52 pm

On 2002-09-12 14:33, Anonymous wrote:
Have heard that there will be an modified Wipi for 2003. (rumors). By the way is Takoon hard to get?? It's a great kite as far as I am aware off. Lots off hangtime and pressure; great wind range.But that my opinion. All the best to ya all.
They shouldn't be hard to get hold of. If you have problems with your local supplier, speak to http://www.windsport.co.za , the SA supplier and ask them to get one to you. Should be a pretty decent price as well. Local stockist can't complain if you have to buy from elsewhere because they don't have any.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:31 am

This paragliding thing is interesting with Wipika. I was checking the snow kiting forum a few weeks ago and found something strange... a Wipika ram air kite (foil). It was one designed for snowkiting apparantly but I wonder if this is a sign of things to come from Wipika in 2003..... especially as it looked like it had one way valves like on kitesurfing ram airs.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:18 am

On 2002-09-13 05:31, BLOWN AWAY wrote:
This paragliding thing is interesting with Wipika. I was checking the snow kiting forum a few weeks ago and found something strange... a Wipika ram air kite (foil). It was one designed for snowkiting apparantly but I wonder if this is a sign of things to come from Wipika in 2003..... especially as it looked like it had one way valves like on kitesurfing ram airs.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:
Yeh the wipika snow ram air foil has been out a while and it does have one way valves... i think they're more to allow it to be used on water if someone wanted to than anything...

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:06 am

Hi,

I heard that the new constructor of Wipi is Stephan Stiegler, who desigend UP Paraglliders the last years. I wouldn't wonder if they would investigate in foil desgins and search for new ways in tube constructions. There's lot's of know how in the paragliding scene which could further improve the perfomance of the kitesurfing kites. It will be a interesting time...

Constant winds
Tscho

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:54 am

Didn't North hire a paraglider designer to work with Ken Winner? I think the guys knowledge didn't transfer well to inflatables. He failed to produce a good kite and was released. Ken took control, and several months late, North finally got the Rhino released. Sometimes designers can be pig headed and stuborn to new ideas. It's a problem all people in the engineering field must resist, to become a good engineer. I know, I'm in that field. (That guy ended up at Cabrinha)

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:58 am

Used to be UP sails making windsurf sails for bic, same people?

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:59 pm

A dutch kitesurfer(Ruud Overwater) will have new 2003AB's this weekend. I'll let you guys know what his comments are.
Rumors are that it will be even higher AR and have a new name.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sake on 2002-09-13 23:02 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:09 pm

Hi Sake,
Alf said, called the Amp

Return to “Kitesurfing”