Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm

Snow kiting is the latest winter sport. Fast growing and simple to learn, skiers and boarders across the world are discovering the fun of traction kiting..

Given a good breeze, a dump of snow and a power kite you can turn a cold winter's day into a blistering, adrenaline soaked experience. Eye watering speeds of over 50 kph have been recorded as snow kiters blast themselves along, and the 'big air' jumps that boarders and skiers are pulling under the power and security of power kites are simply breath taking.

Using the natural power of the wind a snow kite and a pair of skis can also take you deep in to the untouched powder that only heli-skiers and ski tourers could reach before. Even a flat field can be a playground with a kite and some snow!

Wind power is one of life's few free rides and already snow kiting enthusiasts have achieved incredible things. From a ground breaking unsupported journey to the North Pole and back to huge kite powered adventures through Alaska, the world of winter sports is embracing this new fantastic new sport. The potential is simply limitless!

A few common questions.

Is snow kiting easier than kite surfing?

Firstly, can you walk on water? Most people can't and hence they find balancing on a snowboard much easier than a kiteboard. You also get a lot more time to learn to cruise as you don't keep sinking every time you stop.

It also takes a lot less wind to drive a board across snow than it does across water. With the snow kite the whole learning experience is lot less daunting as you need much less power to get you moving.

Finally, holding an edge in snow is much easier than in water making up wind progress much easier to master.

Why are open cell parafoils better than inflatables or closed cell marine foils for snow kiting?

In a word - simplicity. If you still need convincing then here's a few more reasons to use parafoil technology for snow kiting.

Open cell kites do not require pre-inflation. Instantly that's 15 minutes more fun a day than the inflatable owner is getting. As for all that messing around with frozen valves and numb hands - no thanks! Parafoils are out of the bag and gone in seconds.
For ultimate 100% control of any kite you need a 4-lined handle system.
Whilst an open cell kite can be stalled in to a lifeless piece of cloth just by pulling the brakes, inflatables and closed cell foils always maintain their rigid shape and surface area, even on the ground. In strong winds this can be a big problem as these kites can still produce unwanted power and traction which can be dangerous.
A basic open cell foil is under half the price of its closed cell or inflatable rival.
Finally, at the end of your day you can pack a parafoil in to a tiny pack and be on your way home in minutes, giving you loads of time to watch the inflatable's owner getting dragged around with frozen fingers whilst you're already at the bar.
Do I want handles or a bar?

Handles and a 4-line system gives the most precise control of a kite. Not only can you turn smoother and tighter than with a bar, you can also stall the kite to the ground and stake out the brake lines whilst you take a break or pack away.

However, kite surfers that are used to control bars can still fly Ozone kites. If you've learnt to kite with a bar, and don't want to use handles for snow kiting, take a look at Ozone's Control Bar with de-power system and safety leash.

Do I want skis or a snowboard?

Whichever you feel more comfortable with. For beginners skis are often better as the ease of movement really helps till you get the hang of it. However, once you're kiting properly then anything that slides works. We've heard reports of sledges, car bonnets `and even workman's shovels being dragged behind our kites!

Snow kite schools

Its still a fledgling sport so its hard to find schools but heres a list of the schools currently in France. If you know of any other Worldwide pro schools let us know and we’ll add to the list kites@flyozone.com

TTC : Pyrennees
Christian Calgaro Tel: +33(0)561 408 875
ttc@wanadoo.fr

Kite Surfer Center
Alpes Semnoz ( Annecy)
Le Piron 74320 Sevriers
Arnaud Dupee Tel: + 33(0)450 524 621

Auvergne Cerf Volant
13 bis ave Charras,
63000 Clermont Ferrand
Marc Ortiz Tel: +33(0)473 395 701

Kite Surf Air
Col du Lautaret
35 Rue du Bacchu Ber,
05100 Briancon
Cederic Joubert Tel: +33(0)492 205 492

paradox
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby paradox » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:50 am

Toby, thanks for the info. i have a 4-line open cell foil which has never been used, and i'm going to vail in 3 weeks. question: which handle system would you recommend for this rank beginner?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:53 am

Hi,

did you never use a kite? Or do you have experience on water?
Depending if you want to go on the water too, I would use a bar, not handles.
The advantage of the bar is, that you can ride one handed and too no-handed tricks.
With handles you always have to have your hands on it.
On the other side you have a direct and faster control of the kite.
Which handles are the best, I don't know.
I'm wishing you lots of fun in your holidays!

paradox
Rare Poster

Postby paradox » Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:40 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have only flown the kite once, in the desert. Before I go on holiday,I will try to get to the beach for some training. Unfortunately, my kite is not suitable for water, so I will have to invest in new equipment if want to go kitesurfing.

Also, I just realized I already have the handles. So my new question is: For kite skiing, should I get a harness, or is it better to use the handles without a harness?

Paraflysurf
Frequent Poster

Postby Paraflysurf » Wed Jan 23, 2002 12:00 am

You need a harness anyway !

The harness takes the load, and you only have to steer. If you use only handles,your arms have to hold the load and steer the kite.

The only exception is, thast your name is CONAN.

If you use a harness, the forces are connected to the center of your body. If you dont, you are connected very high(to your shoulder) and you will come into trouble if you are high powered. Its is like in a sportscar. The deeper, .....

The best results you have if you use a flying wheel (you can get it in every climber shop or where ever they sell ropes)

You connect the wheel to your harness and lead the powerlines around the wheel. This way it is easier to steer.

Good winds and much fun

Manfred

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:30 pm

hi Toby, where you take this three beautiful photo? are the wonderful place on planet earth?
pier

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:22 am

Hi Pier,

I didn't take the photos myself.
I found them in the internet.
But I think that these have been taken in the French Alps.

Greetings
Toby

paradox
Rare Poster

Postby paradox » Sun Jan 27, 2002 4:22 am

ParaFlySurf,
Thanks for the info about harnesses. My experience flying traction kites, though limited, made me realize that of course you are correct.

I have another question you might be able to help with: What strength line will I need for kiteskiing?

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:59 am

Hello,
The pictures were taken from the ozone paragliders website, they were taken on the glacier in Tignes, France. I went there, it is really great, the perfect spot for snowkiting, there is strong winds, snow all year round, and a big flat area.
Let us know how it goes at vail, where you snowkiteboarded, etc, I will be going there in March.

hope this helped,
Andres Santacruz

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:27 pm

Hi there

The text that Toby posted was from our website http://www.flyozone.com. Check it out for more pics of snow kiting. Hopefully the guys will be going up there again in the next few weeks to get some more shots.

Team Ozone
team@ozone-gliders.com

Return to “Snow / Land”