Frenzy 04 Stability problems?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
luke69
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Frenzy 04 Stability problems?

Postby luke69 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:42 pm

Have been trying out the 04 frenzy 9.5m. When the kite was fully depowered on the clam cleat, the kite became extremely unstable with the tip collapsing loads.

It seemed to me that the kite is really unstable, which i was not expecting at all.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or was it just a dodgy kite?

The wind was about 25kph, not too gusty.

cheers

samurai-jack
Rare Poster

Postby samurai-jack » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:51 pm

tip collapsing loads !! did it look like this Image

buggy2wheeler
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby buggy2wheeler » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:31 pm

I found that my 9.5m was less stable on full depower. At first it seemed that the best way to resolve this was to pull the bar in. This usually got rid of the collapse, but produced a burst of power at the same time (not what you want) However, I've found that after flying the kite more the collapses are happening less and less in the same sort of wind. I think it has to do a lot with how you fly the kite, Particularly not depowering it too much. I've found that as long as I keep a reasonable amount of pressure on the bar this dosent happen at all.
Hope this helps,

Rasga
Rare Poster

Postby Rasga » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:59 pm

So;
Thats me in the picture. .oops . . yes tips collapsed in that gust after i fell off the board

Cleat in 2 inches, bar out full

Cheers
Rasga
http://www.KiteATB.co.uk

PS. Doesnt usually fold at tips on full depower though!

samurai-jack
Rare Poster

Postby samurai-jack » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:50 pm

Hey Whats up Rasga finally ventured from the Flexi Forums huh?
Thats you learninig LOL! It's a good picture and the best visual example of 04 tip collapsing I could find. :thumb:

Rasga
Rare Poster

Postby Rasga » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:54 pm

Don't forget that there are the lovely Forums among lots of other bits @ KiteATB.co.uk

Of course i post elsewhere now and again, it depends where is busy!

Yeah that photo is the only one of me actually flying the frenzy, and it was in the bag 5 minutes later and people came along and started flying their 3M's. . .

Tips collpasing

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:22 am

I've found it a lot worse. I'm going to try and get my old 9.5m 03 back. True I initially had it set up too depowered but yesterday I had to have it set ball to the cleat in 12-14mph (gusts to 18) to stop it collapsing and then I couldn't get enough speed.

I'm not talking a little bit of collapsing.With the cleat at 50%-100% depower it was collapsing even if I was trying to turn 20 degrees from centre.

I'm wondering if the middle leader (chicken loop) is to short??

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:57 am

Sounds like either your kite is defective, or the chicken loop line is too short. Are you able to loosen the stop knot and move the ball closer to the loop, so when you sheet in it comes in further? I've flown the 7.3, 9.5 and 12 with no issues like this at all. If I put in excessive depower in light winds, the kites lose some stability, and the ends fold in a bit, but nothing like you are describing.

I've found that all the I Frenzies I've flown are very, very stable, even in bad conditions.

Seth

stormboarding
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stormboarding » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:03 am

I was out today with a 2004 9.5 in 6-9kts on ice with a little bit of snow and skis and thinking about your problem...

I was flying underpowered so had the trim strap set all the way out (ball to cleat/max length front lines). The 3 things I did that would make the wings fold in were to allow myself to get too close to the kite which slacked the lines, start a power stroke too far across the window in the direction I was traveling or not sheet in and make an aggressive turn of the bar for the upstroke.

I would recommend trying the opposite...edge hard to keep lots of tension on the lines especially during the power stroke; start to dive the kite relatively back in the window (if you have plenty of power you can do a shallow dive) and if the wingtips do fold in, edge hard, sheet in and turn the bar very hard...then after the kite starts to rise again, sheet out to speed it up and keep the apparent wind up.

Do you have anyone nearby with whom you could compare front line lengths/kite performance?

Hope that helps.

rzm

zem6
Rare Poster

the trim strap set all the way out (ball to cleat/max length

Postby zem6 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:22 am

Thanks for the info stormboarding. I also had ball to the cleat but thats max power and I didn't have problems with collpasing then but the kite was too slow- slowing right down as it reached the zenith.

If I depowered it would start collapsing.

I'll try a few more settings between 50% and full (I was getting frustrated on the day so didn't try as many as I should have). If I find that works I think the middle leader (or lines) is just a bit short (or the outside ones a bit long- same thing), or it just means the 04 has much more range/sensitivty when adjusting at the cleat(???). What I mean is from full (ball at cleat) I'm almost stalling, and at full depower (ball away from cleat) its collpasing. My old 03 might just have been less sensitive to the set up.

I'll keep at it. I've almost got a second hand 12m 03 (haggling price), it may help me compare

I appreciate the comments

Return to “Snow / Land”