Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

best setup for new guy?

Forum for kitesurfers
badguy1971
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby badguy1971 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:27 pm

Hi, I really want to get into kitesurfing, and I would like some information ast to what would be the best setup for me. I am 6'2" and weigh 230 lbs (104 kg).
The average wind speed in my area is approx 17kph or about 9 knots.
Given this information, what would be a reconmended setup for me?
I so far have been leaning towards the Flysurfer foils, what size would I benefit most from? and what size board would get me goin?
Thanks for any help!!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:41 pm

New Flysurfer Psycho should be good, old Mastairs are still condidered the best lightwind machines around. For your weight in under 10 knots you'll need a 16-12m foil, 34-40m lines will give you more power but slow the kite down.
Learn on land with a smaller kite and 30m lines first (take a few leasons with a school that's got trainer foils) and also try these big buggers out in 6-8 knots first before trying in stronger winds, then you can use these kites from around 8-14 knots for your weight. Only use big kites like these in steady light winds, don't even unpack them in gusty or stormy conditions. Start with a bigger directional, around 210 x 50, then a TT in more wind or if you suddenly lose 25 Kgs.
Stay safe and have fun.
Jo

badguy1971
Rare Poster

Postby badguy1971 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:50 pm

thanks for the help! I already have a 2m Slingshot trainer that I have been flying for a long time. I like to fly stunt kites so I got the B2 to just fly around on the beach, I hadent even thought about kitesurfing at the time. well you know the rest of the story, I got bit by the bug, gotta dive in!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”