Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
h2o_echo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FIN INSERT INFO PLEASE

Postby h2o_echo » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:57 pm

I want to make a styrofoam core/carbon board. I'll be using TARFA kiteboard fins. The rails will be very thin.
Any suggestions on what to do about fin inserts? Can I make them? Can I buy them?
What method is everyone using to do this.
Im sorta stumpped on this and any info would be most appreciated.

thanks for your time,

Echo

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:49 am

I think most guys just drill the holes oversize, fill them with thickened epoxy, then re-drill the holes. You can put them in, let them cure and if necessary sand before you glass the blank.

There are also i think nylon inserts avalable from http://www.dovetechaquasport.com/
They are for standard wakeboard fins. If your fin uses two screws you'd want something else.

Trent

psa
Medium Poster

Postby psa » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:37 am

you can also do the "inserts" by your self from plastic piece and put that in to he board. just drill holes into the plastic part and put that in to the hole in the board.

Krunk
Rare Poster

Postby Krunk » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:18 pm

Hi Echo,

The easiest way I have heard of for a home builder is to make a hole in you blank about 5 times the size of your final hole (+- 30mm) presumeing an M6 standard fin bolt 90% are.
You then fill this with a mix of microballons off cuts of carbon and a small amount of epoxy/ just enough to bond the hole lot together.
Put a little bit into each hole just enough to fill flush with the rest of the blank.
You now have two choices let the whole lot dry and sand down to perfectly match the profile of your blank – safest way, Or dependant on your methods you can continue to layup straight away to do this without flat spots takes a little finesse but as long as you filler mixture was thick this method is quick and gives grate results.
Then lay-up as normal.
This method will be very strong when finished. Not the quickest but is quicker than having to find and source new materials.
Just Make sure you mark you fin hole placements well else you will drill through in the wrong spot V Bad I have done this lots, now I mark them on my work table, outline the board and when I have drilled the holes I mark these as well, when finished go back to your table lay the board over and drill – take measurements just to be sure.

I hope this helps not saying its right for you but it is a simple method.

GreatWhite
Rare Poster

Postby GreatWhite » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:30 am

You can get good shallow metal inserts for snowboards. They have a wide metal base (~3/4inch) and are short enough to fit a thin board.
Ask a local ski/board shop where you can get them in your area.

Return to “Gear Builders”