Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kitesurfing teamwork works

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:40 pm

I usually kite where the launch area is a narrow rock jetty and self launching is not a viable option. The way we launch is the kiter gets in the water on the downwind side of the jetty and someone holds the kite at the top of the jetty (about 5 meters up) for the launch. Luckily there are always a few kiters around to help ...maybe 5 on a quiet day and maybe 25 on the weekends. (And there are a few windsurfers around to help launch the last guy on a quiet day.)

So you always need help to launch. This has developed a very teamwork oriented culture for us. Everyone helps everyone else. The quicker we get someone launched, the quicker it will be our turn. There is only one launch/landing area so we try to keep it clear like on an aircraft carrier.

Landing is just the reverse. You kite toward the jetty, tap your head to indicate you want to land, and someone on top of the jetty will catch your kite. Sometimes there is a line up with several kiters circling waiting for their turn for landing. But it always works. Every kiter on the jetty is always ready to catch a kite. And if the catch doesn't work, you just bring your kite up and circle around for another try.

It may sound like a difficult site, but our reward here is steady reliable wind and flat water for about 5 months of the year. Average kite size is usually 12 meters.

Here are some rules that have evolved for us.

First, we inflate our kites and put on our wetsuits away from the launch area.

Then we lay out our lines at the launch area on top of the jetty. (The launch area is wide enough for several sets of lines.) Then, when it is our turn, we quickly move our kite to the top of the launch area, connect the lines, and get launched. Usually the next kiter has already laid out his lines and is getting ready immediately afterward. If you are slow or disorganized, someone else will quickly get in front of you for a launch ...this is perfectly acceptable.

On landing, after someone catches your kite, your lines will be immediately disconnected from your kite by the people who catch your kite at the top of the jetty. And then they put your kite down well away from the launch area, (usually stacked behind other kites). This leaves the you in the water free to roll up your lines and get out of the way. When I land, I can roll up my lines when I am still in the water, and by the time I crawl up to the top of the jetty, my kite will have been stored somewhere.

The key thing is that no kite ever sits in the launch area with lines connected for very long. No one has to enforce rules. Newcomers generally just ask how we do things, and then join us. I can't ever remember a kiter being unwilling to help in a launch or landing. Its teamwork at its best. It's a great sport.

Chris G
Squamish BC, Canada

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:57 pm

hi chris glazier
intresting topic that suprised me to have zero replies. soundslike you have a sytem in place that works. i think this is awesome. you guys are launching where a lot of other kiters would probly just walk away from and you are doing it in safe organized fashion

systems and plans work if they are workable plans. a little common sense common decency for others and common courtesy is all it takes to eliminate most of the bs. i like how you tell us that newcomers even ask and then do as the others. a lot of people and places blame their problems on the new guys and the visitors to the area. you guys get them to cooperate without even putting up a sign. good job and good for you Image

sounds like you ride around pretty good bunch of guys. Image the guys i ride with bitchImageat each other if they go out and disconect a kite leash or go without one and they like to ramble about danger of jumping and turning close to the shore. only the thing is that while at the same time they are riding around leash less and jumping and turning 10 feet off the shoreline. makes perfect sense do it

seems like most people are aware of the dangers but the guys with the most experience think that they are not able to be a victim of simple dangers. over and again the more experienced invincible and invulnerable kitesurfers get bitten on the backside not practicign what they preach. maybe not as often as a new guy but sooner or later will be a gust at the right place and right time that has their name on it

thank for sharing your expeince chris glazier.

KC

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:21 pm

Hey Chris, what happens if/when you end up downwind of the jetty?
Jo

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:42 pm

I can respond to this one, Jo.
As a beginner at that site, you end having to either land your kite on a very small, narrow beach, or deploying a leash and swimming to the small beach. You then deflate the leading edge, wrap up your lines, collect everything together, and wait for the safety boat to come and get you. Unless there is some sort of emergency, the boat is there within 5 minutes. The boat is on the launching jetty only 200m from the small beach. You pay $10 a day for the safety boat.

From a safety, logisitic, co-operation, camraderie, friendliness perspective, Squamish is a great place. From a beginner/learning perspective, it sucks. 200m between the launch and the beach is not enough, the water is deep (and from a Glacier - cold). There are all sorts of obstacles further downwind from the beach. If you miss the beach - it looks nasty. Also, 200m Across from the kite/windsurf jetty is a large forestry installation - you don't want to end up there.

In short - if you can stay upwind ALL THE TIME, it's a great place. If not, you need to be very aware and ready to ditch your kite. The good guys start from the Jetty and go directly upwind. That way, if the wind drops, they should be able to get back to the jetty.

I was just in Vancouver, and desperate because Squamish was the only windy spot. I can't stay upwind very well. I tried it a few times, and it was scary. I ended up on the beach every time. Not a beginner spot at all. Too bad, because the wind and water conditions are really nice.
Cheers,
AL

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:12 pm

hey are you guys riding with kristy muller out their in b.c.????

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:26 pm

On 2002-09-16 20:12, ctkiteboarding wrote:
hey are you guys riding with kristy muller out their in b.c.????
Who's that?

We're riding with Katie Holmes in NC. Guys were riding and jumping all around her this weekend. :smile: HOT!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dwight on 2002-09-16 20:43 ]</font>

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:40 pm

just a friend who lives out that way but she mainly stays on maui thanks

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:23 pm

Here is a picture of one of my buddies kiting at Squamish on a light wind day.

Return to “Kitesurfing”