Forum for kitesurfers
RPalmieri
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RPalmieri » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:30 pm

Hi,

I have a x2 16M and use this with my old ARX bar. When I fly the X2 and try to power it, the kite opens up and looses power instead of generating power. To fix this I made the back lines longer and this helps but I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me how you set your lines up. What is the line difference between the front lines and back lines when the chicken loop is against the bar and the v-strap is powered up.(so like riding maximum power)
It would be great if somebody could tell me this and save me lots of frustration because everybody is saying that the X2 is such a great kite but sometimes i wish I had my old ARX 15,5 back again.

Thanks!

Ramon...

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:39 pm

It's the same with the X2 bar as well... the X2 flies totally different to the ARX in regards to power.

The X2 is very fast and goes far better when sheeted out a bit. It needs to be flown fast to generate it's power and lift unlike the ARX which pulls hard when sheeted in...

But believe me the X2 is far far better.....

BLOWN AWAY :cool:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:49 pm

On the X2 bar there are 3 knots. I use the outside one as that enables the kite to be sheeted out the most. The inner knot makes the kite sit back for waveriding and stuff.

When I first got my 11.5 ARX over a year ago I found that the kite was easy to oversheet due to the bar setup. This worked fine on the ARX but the X2 doesn't like being oversheeted.

I ended up putting new leaders on the outside of my ARX bar and an even longer leader on the centre line as well so I could sheet the kite out better..... I did it with the ARX to get more depower but it would work with the X2 as well.

I don't know the line difference of the X2 lines but trial and error isn't a bad substitute....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

eyal
Rare Poster

Postby eyal » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:58 pm

RPalmieri
Rare Poster

Postby RPalmieri » Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:46 pm

Thanks guys,

I tried to find info on this forum about it (and found lots of..) and saw that the x2 needs to be flown on the front lines.
But it would be nice to here from somebody who has his lines set up correctly what the line difference is between front and back lines when chickenloop is against the bar and the strap is fully powered.
That would help a lot so if somebody could be so friendly to tell me!

Thanks.

Ramon...

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:23 pm

The line lengths should be about equal on full power, the front lines can even be 2-3 cm shorter than the backs, for full power on the bigger sizes.

I find it astounding that so many people have problems tuning a kite! I hear that Robby Naish was running an X2 tuning class in Maui!! I thought it was just a matter of flying it, and adjusting line lengths till you find max power on the beach! And they fly almost identically to the Wipika Airblast and Airush lift, and even my old freeair had similar characteristics!

RPalmieri
Rare Poster

Postby RPalmieri » Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:36 pm

Yeah, maybe you are right but the problems are only there when there is light winds.
In stronger winds the kite goes well.
So it is frustrating testing the kite when you do not have a lot of time. I can go only in the weekends, so that's why I asked a little help here.
I think the manual should tell what the basic settings should be.

Thanks anyway!

Ramon...

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:28 am

When testing it in light wind, try it very depowered, it will fly faster(properly). With too much back line tension (even with equal length backs and fronts ) you'll find in 4-5 knots of wind it'll stall and fly backwards, and with a tug, it'll suddenly surge forward and yank you when it accelerates. I found that my setup in light wind was fine for the next time when I went out in 20+ knots, (but needed more depower as the kite pulled light a train and the front lines stretched heaps in the first session.

RPalmieri
Rare Poster

Postby RPalmieri » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:29 am

I tried it very depowered, but proberbly too much because it was getting real slow instead of fast. Sunday we will get 4 bft so I hope I can try a new set up. I will start with chicken loop against the bar and strap fully open and let the back lines be a few centimers longer. Hope I can tune it good this time so I can enjoy the "great" kite!

Ramon...

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:55 am

The setup I use seems to work fine on all sizes: make all lines exactly the same length when you are at max power (chickenloop at bar, adjuster max) at don't make the depower too long (16-20cm).
Hope this helps,
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”