How to ruin your kite prematurely

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:55 pm

Here are some popular way to ruin your kite:

Leave it on the beach for hours flapping hard in the wind. This will shred the fabric.

Leave it on the beach in the bright sun. The UV damage will degrade the fabric.

Put it away wet. This will cause the colors to run and cause stains and may also allow mold to grow (especially with fresh water).

Use sharp rocks to hold your kite down on the beach. The pinholes that these may cause can grow into giant rips.

Drag your kite around the beach with the tips scraping ground. It wears them down quickly.

(Most of the wear and tear on most kites occurs on the beach, not in the air.)

Chris G

JMF
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JMF » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:03 pm

lol the above goes without saying but wait you forgot the most important one dude.......

Never let your Girl friend try fly your Kite :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wipirider on 2002-09-17 20:03 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:04 pm

Yeah, it's amazing how dragging a kite or anything on the sand will wear it away. It's like sandpapering it.
Jo

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:42 am

I have two perfect ways to trash it:
Nailed a BT 9.4 on a flag pole after a hinderburging.
Landing on total control over a tree. (Late afternoon, long lines!!)

headhunter
Rare Poster

Postby headhunter » Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:19 pm

Alhtough most kite are dacron leading edge, sun is their worse enemy

:wink:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:28 pm

Something else to watch out for.
I always dry my kites out to prevent rot/mould, even if they're only damp with sand.
With the kite hanging up on the washing line, if the valves of the bladders are open any sand that falls off the kite can fall into the valve if it's pointing upwards and therefore inside the bladder.
Close the valves if you hang your kite up to wash and/or dry.
Jo

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:31 pm

Lighting the leading edge with a match, lighter, or otherwise flamable device is not recommended either...

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:51 pm

300 hours in direct sunlight is all it takes to end the life of a sail according to Ezzy in his rigging instructions included with each windsurfing sail. I assume that kites would be the same. If no shade is available, I use a UV car cover. You have to be careful with this if it is out of the wind on a hot day - use a pole or something to create some space between the kites and the cover in order to get some air flow. Direct contact will overheat the kites. A quick after work session with low sun angles is no big deal, but an all day session with a couple of kites rigged -- doesn't take long.

Alan

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:53 pm

Jo, I hope your washing line is out of the sun. Otherwise you'll be doing far more damage through UV degradation than mould will ever do.

And if your kite is only wet with saltwater don't even worry about a bit of damp. The saltwater stops mould and in my experience does no damage to kites or sailboard sails too for that matter.

I've never washed my sails or kites, just kept the sand off them by taking them to a grassy area and carefully shaking them out if necessary and then rolling them up. Over the last 15 years the kites and sails I have sold after I've used them have lasted as long or longer than anyone elses. I've also never left them sitting out in the sun or wind if at all possible.

Have fun, Dave (Dr Surf Australia)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:57 pm

When buying a used kite, you could find one that is in perfect shape - no repairs - that is completely worn out. Sun fading is a good indicator. Also you can kind of tell by the way the fabric sounds and feels when you wrinkle it up in your hands.

Alan

Return to “Kitesurfing”