Hey Dwight

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:03 pm

Hey Dwight, I read through the thread on the wavetray. What sort of wind range with what kites are you using the 147 wavetray in?
Thanks man.
Jo

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:07 pm

Just for more input for you...

On my 147 I get 13 - 22 knots on my 12.2 lift can get more high end but it's crazy overpowered and I get about 20 - 30 on my 9.4 lift. I weigh apprx 100kg,

callum

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:46 pm

I’m a fan of owning 2 boards. I say this to let you know my wind range opinions may be tainted because of this. Changing boards is easier than pumping up another kite.

I weigh 83 kg. I use my standard 147 x 38 WT whenever I’m powered enough to stay upwind easily on my 16m Rhino or smaller kites. I use a wider board for my 22.5 or when I’m having trouble staying upwind with the 16. A wide board adds 2 knots of power to any kite. I was riding the SB as my light wind board. I tried a 157 WT built special wide to replace my SB. It turned out to be too big for me. My new light wind board has just been shipped from New Zealand. It’s a 147 WT build special at 41 wide. My standard 147 is being replaced with a standard 142 x 37 WT.

So, my boards will now be 142 x 37 and 147 x 41.

I found that my old stock 147 was a tiny bit big, in big waves. Big waves create very high board speeds.

When I considered the SLIGHT speed and control problems on big waves, and Adrian’s comments to me, that he needed to ride smaller boards when he rode a faster kite like the X2, I decided to make these board changes. Adrian used to ride Rhinos, and will ride the Rhino 2 when they come out. I will also ride the Rhino 2. I believe Callum rides the FAST Lift kites. That may account for him liking the 147 at his heavy weight (faster board speed).

Quoting wind speed numbers doesn’t tell you as much as knowing what kites I use the boards with.

If I could only own one board for all winds, it would have to be the stock 147. This would work with all kites in all winds. (10-28 knots) It’s just more fun with two boards, and don’t forget, a wide board adds 2 knots of power to the low end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-09-17 13:54 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:19 pm

Thanks Callum, your kites would be about the same as my 16-12 I guess, so 12-25 on this board sounds ok as I weigh a bit less.

Dwight, thanks man, I reckon that both you, Adrian and Callum are out in more wind and bigger waves than we get around here, never really get anything much over 1-1.5m waves and 10-20 wind, some 30-50 knot storms but they're really squallish and TOO SHORT and I'd rather wait and surf the waves after it's died down.
Most used kite here is 16m or bigger, so I reckon a 142 or smaller would be sitting on the beach too much.

Re: "My standard 147 is being replaced.." You selling your standard 147 then?
Jo

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:38 pm

On 2002-09-17 14:19, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
Re: "My standard 147 is being replaced.." You selling your standard 147 then?
Jo
I'm not sure yet. Jacky (wife) may claim it for her light wind board.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:44 pm

Sounds like I don't stand a chance there, Jacky is holding all the cards.
Thanks 4 everything.
have fun.
Jo

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:43 pm

Hey Dwight, Do you ever use a toro with a wave tray. I see that you use Rhinos, and I know that the WT's are fast, and therefore suited to a fast kite. Is the Toro more suited to a slower board? I know that you can use any kite with any board, but I just want your opinion on what is optimum.

Thanks a lot.

Alan

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:00 pm

On 2002-09-18 17:43, Anonymous wrote:
Hey Dwight, Do you ever use a toro with a wave tray. I see that you use Rhinos, and I know that the WT's are fast, and therefore suited to a fast kite. Is the Toro more suited to a slower board? I know that you can use any kite with any board, but I just want your opinion on what is optimum.

Thanks a lot.

Alan

I spent a whole day riding my friends new 16m Toro with my 147 WT, about 2 months ago. The waves were too big for my friend to chance crashing his new kite. So I had a blast with it. He wanted to see his new kite fly, so I was happy to help out. :smile: I didn't feel any differnce riding the Toro, other that better depower range and slightly better low end power. I thought the board worked great with the Toro. The WT is not that fast a board. It's really just faster in choppy water, where other board designs tend to perform poorly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”