Flysurfer Psycho specs on website

Forum for kitesurfers
DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:24 pm

Thank You Jo,

My lowest limit on my FS. MastAir 12 is 7Mph lulls gusting to 8Mph wind with a floaty directional to go upwind. This kite is much slower than the F-One 18.1.
I need lulls not lower than 8Mph gusting to 10Mph for my F-One Mach-I 18.1 with the F-One 180 Twintip combination to go upwind and can go up to 15Mph gusting to 17Mph with a 142 Twintip and jump high (I am still learning how to go higher).
What I am looking for is to use only one kite with better low end, and to cover the 6 to 10Mph average wind for summer time in Miami.
Any sugestion?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrLightWind on 2002-09-19 21:51 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:45 pm

Hi Doc,
I dunno,

If you want to get rid of both kites and just have one kite with good low and more high end maybe the big Psycho is what you want. But I would think 100 times really before giving away a kite that's getting you going upwind on a kiteboard in 6-7 knots, if that's what you want to do every now and again, I'd say keep the Mastair, you can hold it up to 15-18 anyway. Test a psycho if you can, if poss in these very light and also stronger wind conditions.

What length lines are you using?
40m lines should give you 1 knot more low end but 5 knots is really pushing it.
The only way i can see you getting any lower (5-6) is using a longboard and long lines.

Let us know.
Jo

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:13 am

Hi Jo,

I am using 30 meter lines on all of my kites.
Never used longer than that.
Maybe I should use 40 or 50 meter lines with a pulley bar on the F-One 18.1 to compensate the slowness with the longer lines.
Up to 10mph for me a floaty directional is the must which I don't have any problem with if I can get out and ride while everyone is waiting.
The problem is with the MastAir-12 to launch it in a light air and also get it back up when it drops out of the sky in the lulls. Also it is very very slow already in that 7-8 mph range. Also I get overpowered fast @ 14-15mph because the chicken loop is not that very efective.
Thank you for the suggestions,
Bela

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:39 am

Can wait to try the 15.5 in 7-10 knots i wanna see all the other tube guys on the beach with no power looking @ me jumping.

Hey, bring Psycho to Portugal :smile:

Pedro Murta Marcos
Portugal - Algarve

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:08 am

Hi Doc,
I just started experimenting with the really light wind stuff myself, got 7-10 knots sussed no prob.
Now I'm aiming for less, but you're already doing better than I am. I do weigh 15-20 kgs more than you though and am definately up for 6-7 if not 5-6, I love challenges.
I'm also using 30m lines on the 12m but will soon try 10m extensions, Flysurfer say you should get 1-1.5 knots more low end.
Strange you say it's a slow kite, mine is charging around, in low wind you do really have to fly it around though to give it apparent wind, this also helps stop it falling in a lull, although if the lull lasts long enough no kite will stay in the sky.
Things should be perfect, light constant wind, flat water, flawless kite and board technique.
If it's gusting with big blody holes forget it.
Mind you the other day I saw a guy buggying with a C-quad I think, wacking the bugger all over the shop in NO wind, really 0 knots and the kite generated enough pull to get him moving. Obviously as soon as he stopped sining it just glided down, it was a good lesson seeing that.
Open cell foils fly better in light wind and anyway bellow 7 knots you can't water relaunch anything, maybe you should try a big open cell foil.
I agree that the 12m is a bitch to launch in less than 7 and I'm experimenting with various methods to get it up, without dragging it across the beach, can't be good for the trailing edge. Running backwards with someone holding the kite does actually work, fully depowered. Pre-inflation is really important too, I use the velcro butt plug, kite fills almost full on its own while laying out the lines, amazing stuff.

Try riding a surf longboard, about a 9 footer

Get it up in light wind.
Have fun.
Jo

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:39 am

Hi Jo,

The need of flat water we have the best only knee high. I haven't tryed that big board yet. Additionally I invented a portable 12V blower by using a marine engine housing blower to pree-inflate.
Also if 2 people holding it up would help to launch faster the MastAir-12.
Also I noticed the bridels are very loose at the wing-tip of the kite all the time.
Probably thats what preventing me geting better low end.
How do you adjust that?
Today I really had fun we had about @ 15 to 18mph with higher gusts & used my F-One Mach I 15.1 with a 142 T.T. jumping avr. 15 to 20 feet. This is the edge of hurricane Isidore which is passing by and the wind will be good for the weekend.
Take care Bela

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrLightWind on 2002-09-20 09:43 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:59 am

2 assistants sounds good.
I agree that the kite probably isn't trimmed right if it's really slow, should be fast.
Only thing I have on trimming is:

http://www.flysurfer.de/2001er.htm

It's only in Deutsch unfortunately, good luck. Best to ask a Flysurfer dealer about tightening up the bridles before doing any trial and error.

Glad to here you'll be using the smaller board in the hurricane, looks like the bastard is suckin up all our wind.

Take care and have fun.
Jo

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:17 am

Hey Doc,
Just got mail from Flysurfer about launch technique, (answers are capital leters) here it is:

My question.
In one of the videos I saw a guy fully depowered, then tugging a few times on the depower on the kite side of the bar while stepping back then pumping the bar a few times to launch. This was in strong wind, would it work in light wind too?
YES THIS WORKS IN LIGHT WIND TOO, WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT THE FRONT PROFILE OF THE KITE
TAKES OFF A LITTLE EARLIER BECAUSE EVEN MORE TENSION IS PUT HERE, THIS WORKS
WELL IN LIGHT WINDS TOO IF ABOVE LAUNCH (normal fast depower step back) DOES NOT WORK OKAY.
(ALSO ON WATER IN SUPER LIGHT WINDS WHEN THE KITE IS A BIT WET)

Sounds good to me.
Jo

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:28 am

Making your own foil may not be a bad move.... once you've got a smaller design sussed and made... and it flies well.... why not progress to something of say 30 metres?

Either that or get a paraglider foil and stick long lines on it....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”