Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Mikael
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rogue Wave custom board: Impressive!!!

Postby Mikael » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:01 pm

I got a chance to try my new Rogue Wave custom board a bunch of time now (120cm x 36cm) and I have to say that I'm super impress. Rides super smooth, good pop and holds an edge like there's no tomorrow!
I'm really happy with the final product. The finition and overall quality is excellent and really proffesional.
The service has also been extraordinary. Lee (shaper) has been in the board making business for more then 20 years if I'm not mistaken and it shows. The guy definitly knows what he's talking about. He helped me to pick all the characteristics of that board so it fits my style and riding condition. He was also open to additions or modification I wanted.

Just wanted to give Lee my thumbs up for his great product and service. I just ordered another board from him (137x36) and it will be ready in 2-3 weeks. Pretty stoked to see the final result.

Here are a few pics of that board:
or check out the gallery:
http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/albur68

newb
Rare Poster

Postby newb » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:19 am

Nice to hear something about these boards! Lee's work has always been top droor. I am stoked to be close to ordering my first Rogue Wave. His windsurfing boards are very very sweet and heaps tougher than the usual cobra factory pieces of crap that are the industry standard. Now that I've switched to kites its going to be a sweet thing to have a made to measure stick. You gotta see his boards. Interested to hear how the low end is on your board, and why if you are going bigger are you going to stay with the same width? What is your weight and kite sizes? He learned his bottom shape and rails from JL himself, so you cant go far wrong with that! I figure that is a big part of why it holds a rail so well. Also wondering if that is considered a custom paint job as I have seen that graphic on other RW boards.

B

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Rogue Wave

Postby Mattdog » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:19 am

Lee's windsurfers always received only the most glowing reviews in major magazines. It you want a custom product he's definitely worth checking out. Plus the cheap Canadian dollar should be a bonus to most buyers !

Mikael
Frequent Poster

Postby Mikael » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:18 am

hey B.

The low end of that board seems to be around 13-15 knots with my V4 18m. I'm ~170 lbs. I decided to keep with the same width and increase the length because I believe that's a good way to gain low end (I'm guessing to get going in ~10 knots with my 18m V4) and keeping the board responsive and fast past on previous board experiences. I tried the fat and short board for lower wind and didn't quite match my riding style.
The paint job is a custom job. He made a few board with the same pattern but different colours. I like the idea of personilizing your board with a custom graphic.

windjunky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: n/a

Postby windjunky » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:45 pm

How do you like the footbed and straps?

Mikael
Frequent Poster

Postby Mikael » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:21 pm

footstraps are really comfy. No complains at all and fits my feet perfectly.
Footbeds are not the most padded one I tried so sometimes on hard landing they feel hard, but the toe edge makes it really easy to keep your board on your feet for high speed landing.

Grantito
Rare Poster

Postby Grantito » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:58 pm

I also am riding one of Lee's sticks..... AWESOME!!!!! 135cm...great construction and the footbeds ARE comfortable. I 'm using a 12 AreoI and weigh about 150lbs. I can ride down to about 11 knots and up to 25 fully chickened!

This board is super stable and sticks to the edge upwind. the concave bottom is amazing and seems to make things happen in slow motion when carving or setting up for a jump. Landings are SOLID. Some light flex gives it great pop too. I am thinking about getting a smaller one too...down around 120-125.

Lee is a great guy and was very accomodating with my order...less than three weeks start to finish! I highly recommend his boards to anyone. :thumb:

Cant wait to ride here in T.O. !!!

christian w.

rogue

Postby christian w. » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:43 am

you re right! These boards are a secret tip!

a friend of mine rode it five minutes came back from the water and ordered one.

Ive got some problems with the browser and kiteforums login at the moment but pictures are coming soon.
Look at my review of my roguewaveboard.

christian w.

Rogue Wave
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
Style: None
Brand Affiliation: Rogue Wave Custom and Jimmy Lewis boards.
www.roguewaveboards.com
www.jimmylewis.ca

Postby Rogue Wave » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:44 pm

Thanks for the great reviews guys -- you're making my head swell with pride! :D

I have dozens more e-mails from happy customers, and we are continuing to improve things (including delivery times).

Lee

Return to “Reviews”