Peterlynn Guerilla 2 11.0m test vs PL Guerilla 1 10.0m

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Kolahi
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Peterlynn Guerilla 2 11.0m test vs PL Guerilla 1 10.0m

Postby Kolahi » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:39 am

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH PETER LYNN IN ANY WAY, I SPENT MY OWN HARD EARNED CASH ON THESE KITES, ALL OF THEM

ok ok i seriously just had a nice 6 hour session at waddell switching between the g1-10 and the g2-11 back to back tests, same line setup and everything, heres what i found.

#1. The g2-11 has a shitload of low end, im talking a shitload, way more than i actually need. I was rediculously overpowered when it it peaked at 2, like im talking REDICULOUSLY, i couldnt hold the kite down at all.(oh yea i never use depower so dont even try to get me to use it), well i could hold the kite down but there was no way i was going to wave ride with it, which i may add the g2-11 is very good at wave riding. I would seriously say that the g2-11 has almost as much low end maybe 1-2 mph difference, in the low end compared to my 12.0 LEI, and my 12.0 has HELLA low end(i've stayed upwind when iwindsurf was reading 9average at sherman island on my 12.0 LEI, i guess i could stay upwind on my g2-11 when it reads 11 average). I got on my 11 when the clock struck 1oclock im sure, maybe even before that, as i got at waddell at 11:30, and setup my new bar and went out right away( i lost that velcro thing so my leash has a lot of tension in it).

Ok This is what i think about turning speed, it turns pretty much as fast as any 12.0 tube, it seems to pivot better, when i wave ride with it, so i'd say its just like a 12.0 tube maybe slightly better maybe slightly slower i havent tested my 12.0 and 11 back to back, no forking way im going to either not at waddell, i'll be killed in an instant, especially with that piece of shit 12.0 jelly fishing non mother -fing stop(yea my 12.0 has major stretching issues i notice it when it flies in the air, but anyway thats aside from the point), lets talk jumps. The g2-11 jumps SO god damn well, how is it possible? The 11 is _THE_ kite this year i think its the best all round kite, why? Because it has the jumping and power of last years 13.0 but turning almost as good as the g-10, i say almost because its really not as good, but its a HELL of a lot better than the god damn SLOW g-13, and i say that only because i've been spoiled by REALLy fast training style type kites, which i've learned to love. The 13.0 is really too slow to do the fast whippy wave style stuff, the 11.0 is great for it.

So i setup my g-10 right when i was overpowered, and right when i setup i guess a lull came on because i remembered i wasnt too jazzed on my g-10, and this is when i thought GEE what a huge gap between the g2-11 and the g-10, but yea it was becuase the wind died down some, but anyway i was able to jam pretty well on the g-10, perfect amount of power, then it picked up some and i was having a blast, the turning on the g1-10 is PERFECT, i'll say it over and over again , it is the PERFECT, turning speed, the g2-11 doesnt quite have the slingshot trainer turning speed that the g-10 does, but then again the g-10 is a VERY small kite, im not even sure if it really is a 10, i laid the kites on top of each other and the 11 was significantly bigger, but more importantly the 11 in the air looks as big as a 13.0 almost(ok not exactly, but almost), and the 10 looks TINY. So it lulled again according to iwindsurf my absolute low end on the g-10 is about 17mph average, i could have gone lower if i switched to my twintip, which for some reason i find has better light wind performance.

Anyway i was absolutely powered on my g2-11 again, extremely, and it just kept increasing, and i was just getting SLAMMED, soon i was getting so much power i would just get lifted in a gust, just tea bagged so hard, it was WAY too much power(iwindsurf says its average over 20 and gusting into mid thirties at this time), anyway i hopped back on my g1-10 and i was fine again(god i love the G10).

Make a long story short, the g2-11 does fit very WELL between the g-10 and g-13 gap, but the g2-11 does not have the top end of the g-10 like i was hoping.

I weigh 175lbs, ride a 140 Underground firebird, and a 147 procarbon wavetray.

[/b]
Last edited by Kolahi on Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildThang
Medium Poster

Postby WildThang » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:04 am

Nice review, Kevin.

I was/maybe still am a little confused as to whether to pick up a new G2 11 or 13. I'm thinking tweener Arc betwixt the old G10 and G13. Think your review clarifies a few things.

This might be the G everyone was asking for while back when they said the G-10 had so much top end , it was unusable or impractical. Give us a little more usable bottom end.

I know you said don't get you started, but do you think you still would have t-bagged some much if you could have depowered the kite, therefore getting better top end out of it? :duh: hehe.

Eric

fourperf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Peterlynn Guerilla 2 11.0m test vs PL Guerilla 1 10.0m

Postby fourperf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:23 am

Ok This is what i think about turning speed, it turns pretty much as fast as any 12.0 tube, it seems to pivot better, when i wave ride with it, so i'd say its just like a 12.0 tube maybe slightly better maybe slightly slower i havent tested my 12.0 and 11 back to back, no forking way im going to either not at waddell, i'll be killed in an instant, especially with that piece of shit 12.0 jelly fishing non mother -fing stop(yea my 12.0 has major stretching issues i notice it when it flies in the air, but anyway thats aside from the point), lets talk jumps. The g2-11 jumps SO god damn well, how is it possible? The 11 is _THE_ kite this year i think its the best all round kite, why? Because it has the jumping and power of last years 13.0 but turning almost as good as the g-10, i say almost because its really not as good, but its a HELL of a lot better than the god damn SLOW g-13, and i say that only because i've been spoiled by REALLy fast training style type kites, which i've learned to love. The 13.0 is really too slow to do the fast whippy wave style stuff, the 11.0 is great for it.

Dude, quit smoking crack.

First of all the 11 g2 is a smaller kite than a 12m Lei so you should compare it to a kite of the same size (which would be a 9m lei roughly) I fly both lei and G2 and the 11m g2 does not turn as quickly as a 12m lei anyway.

Kolahi
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolahi » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:28 am

I dont know mark, i think i'll say that atmost its slightly slower, because i find my 12.0 wave riding just on par with my g2-11, i know it may not feel faster, but when im really cranking it in the waves, my expression on the wave face, comes out the same.

About the power issue, actually a g2-11 has a LOT of low end, its not like a g-10 where its very small, i think a g10 compares VERY well, to a 9m LEI, but dude i'm out here on my g-10 when people my same weight are out on 8.0 LEI's, all the way to who knows when, but even when i've seen fat guys put down their 6.0s and come out with windsurfing sails, and the G-10 DOES compare in turning speed, seriously. I've just had a session on my 04 8.0 tube last week, i remember the turning speed of my small kites all too well, and the g-10 is VERY similar in turning speed, maybe suffering some low end, but god what top end.

I think the bar pressure needed is more on the g2-11 to get to really whipping close to a 12.0 tube. I'll TRY to fly them back to back next time, to get a really accurate comparison, but for now the g-10/g2-11 thing is as good as it'll get.

haha i know i sound like it, but i've never done a drug in my life, exclusion of some minor alcohol, and a cigarette or two.

Oh and about the depowering thing, yes yes ofcourse i could just pull in the depower strap, but still whipping it in the waves would still make a LOT of power. I really do throw the word overpowered around quite a bit, its just because i like to ride FAST, and HARD, and if im really getting yanked HARD, i hate it, so that is subjectively overpowered for me, so in essence it is not impossible to hold it down in those wind conditions, just something i would not prefer, just slow edging, not my kind of fun. Reason i dont like to use depower is because i dont like the slack feeling in the backlines, i do fly with some slack, but a lot of slack dumbs down turning speed unless you really sheet in(very annoying for me), and besides i'll just throw up a smaller kite, if i got one, that is. I'm not even able to comment on the g2-13, so i dont even want to talk about that one.

fourperf
Frequent Poster

g2

Postby fourperf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:07 am

Kolahi wrote:I dont know mark, i think i'll say that atmost its slightly slower, because i find my 12.0 wave riding just on par with my g2-11, i know it may not feel faster, but when im really cranking it in the waves, my expression on the wave face, comes out the same.

About the power issue, actually a g2-11 has a LOT of low end, its not like a g-10 where its very small, i think a g10 compares VERY well, to a 9m LEI, but dude i'm out here on my g-10 when people my same weight are out on 8.0 LEI's, all the way to who knows when, but even when i've seen fat guys put down their 6.0s and come out with windsurfing sails, and the G-10 DOES compare in turning speed, seriously. I've just had a session on my 04 8.0 tube last week, i remember the turning speed of my small kites all too well, and the g-10 is VERY similar in turning speed, maybe suffering some low end, but god what top end.

I think the bar pressure needed is more on the g2-11 to get to really whipping close to a 12.0 tube. I'll TRY to fly them back to back next time, to get a really accurate comparison, but for now the g-10/g2-11 thing is as good as it'll get.

haha i know i sound like it, but i've never done a drug in my life, exclusion of some minor alcohol, and a cigarette or two.

Oh and about the depowering thing, yes yes ofcourse i could just pull in the depower strap, but still whipping it in the waves would still make a LOT of power. I really do throw the word overpowered around quite a bit, its just because i like to ride FAST, and HARD, and if im really getting yanked HARD, i hate it, so that is subjectively overpowered for me, so in essence it is not impossible to hold it down in those wind conditions, just something i would not prefer, just slow edging, not my kind of fun. Reason i dont like to use depower is because i dont like the slack feeling in the backlines, i do fly with some slack, but a lot of slack dumbs down turning speed unless you really sheet in(very annoying for me), and besides i'll just throw up a smaller kite, if i got one, that is. I'm not even able to comment on the g2-13, so i dont even want to talk about that one.
Hey Kevin, I was just messing with you (I know you don`t smoke crack) Here is what I think. I just got home from Taipei where I spent 3 days on my 11 g2 and also on my 13 g2. They do turn really well very, very stable and do have more depower the the lei`s. I spend 99% of my time riding my Gaastra`s. I just prefer them. Yet I do feel that the arcs are great kites also. Yesterday at Jalama it was around 19mph avg and quite gusty. My 12 lei would not stay in the sky. In the lulls it just fell to the ground. Same thing happened to all the lei`s there that day. We all spent the day on our G 2 15`s and had a great session. The arcs are GREAT kites and I enjoy them (I own both) I just don`t think that they turn as fast , thats all.

Mark

Kolahi
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolahi » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:21 am

what i was just trying to get at was that the g1's were really far from turning speed/power ratio of lei's, but the g2's are pretty close now, as they turn better than the g1's and seem to have more power per unit surface area.

thats what it comes down to.

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:04 pm

Kolahi wrote:what i was just trying to get at was that the g1's were really far from turning speed/power ratio of lei's, but the g2's are pretty close now, as they turn better than the g1's and seem to have more power per unit surface area.

thats what it comes down to.
I will agree with that.

Mark

newb
Rare Poster

Postby newb » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:37 pm

Hey 4perf,

Could you give me your impression of the low end on your 13 g2? Your weight, board size, and when you feel you can stay upwind, park, jump.

thanks,

B

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Nice review Kevin, but since you refuse to use the depower function
there's something missing for most of us ...
It's like getting a review of a Merc vs. a BMW from someone who
only drives in fourth gear ;) ;)

Steve T.

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:27 pm

newb wrote:Hey 4perf,

Could you give me your impression of the low end on your 13 g2? Your weight, board size, and when you feel you can stay upwind, park, jump.

thanks,

B
I weigh about 175 pounds and generally ride a 147 X 16 Jimmy lewis. When the wind comes on really strong I will first switch to my smaller board 137X 16 before going to a smaller kite. The G2 13 works really well. It has a lot of grunt. I am not sure on the mph but the first day I flew it my friend was on his 16m caution (he weighs about 15 pounds more than me) and I was staying upwind with no problem. The 13 turns really well. Not as fast as my 12m Gxr but it is not a problem. It turns plenty fast enough to whip around playing in the waves. It has heaps of depower. I was in Taipei kiting on my 13 when the wind picked up into the mid 20`s avg. That kite depowers really well.

Mark

Return to “Reviews”