Style: Surf
Gear: Eclipse
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

KillaHz Kite Review RRD

Postby KillaHz » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Our video magazines profile riders, places and product. From time to time companies put kites in our hands to review.

I had the pleasure of riding the Z Type 13 m from RRD yesterday on their 140 Broad Spectrum board. I have been looking for a bigger board that can ride with more speed and stay plaining through holes.

The location: Berkeley, San Francisco bay
Conditions: 19mph with gusts to 24mph, nice launch ramps on the outside.

As I have not flown these kites before, I was instructed to start with the zippers open to get a feel for the kite. I rode this way for almost an hour and was impressed as when gusts hit the kite just absorbed them. The bar pressure was light and the jumps were pretty big and very floaty.

I came in and zipped up all the zippers and went back out. Noticeably more power and grunt. The jumps at this point became huge and the kite much more responsive. I found that you could leave the kite back in the window on jumps until the last second, sweeping it in on landings for soft touchdowns. A friend of mine said that these were some of the biggest jumps he has ever seen me get. I don't think they were, but they were definetly huge.

I was able to test the RRD emergecy release when I came in and as they said it would, it released 3 of the lines from the bar and instantly depowered. What I liked about this system is that there was no lines to untangle. Just reattach the release and wind up the bar.

It would be hard for me to compare this kite to any others that I have flown b/c I have never felt a kite quite like it. With the zippers, it has a huge range. The jumps were insanely high and the landings super smooth. If I had to compare to any kite that I have flown this year it would be the new North Vegas 12m.

Last year I rode the Rhino 2s and loved the pop on jumps but towards the end of the season got tired of getting overpowered all the time.

As Kiteboarding advances into low to the water wakestyle riding, I think we are going back towards bigger boards for more board speed. The 140 Broad Spectrum is light weight and rides fast. It rode great and has different fin options for different styles of riding. I used the biggest fins and loved it.

Overall impression: Very impressed
kite would be good for: beginner - Pro ( with the zipper options this kite seemed like it could fly about 2.5 - 3 different sizes (11m - 14m)

Other 2004 kites I have tested:
Best Nemi
Best Yarga
Airush Lift Pro
North Rhino 4
North Vegas
Cabrinha Nitro
Cabrinha CO2
Liquid Force
Naish V4

bLUNT INSTRuMENT
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

RRD Z Kites

Postby bLUNT INSTRuMENT » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:16 am

KillaHz,

Thanks for the good word on the Z kites. Will you be in the Bay Area next week? Do you have any of these kites for demo? LMK....It looks like I will be there and would like to have a sess. on the 13 or 16. What shops are selling the kites in the Bay?

It sounds like you liked the 140 board....did you get to ride the XX?

Thanks,

Blunt

KillaHz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Back Yardos

Re: RRD Z Kites

Postby KillaHz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:46 pm

bLUNT INSTRuMENT wrote:KillaHz,

Thanks for the good word on the Z kites. Will you be in the Bay Area next week? Do you have any of these kites for demo? LMK....It looks like I will be there and would like to have a sess. on the 13 or 16. What shops are selling the kites in the Bay?

It sounds like you liked the 140 board....did you get to ride the XX?

Thanks,

Blunt
Hey no problem,

I just returned to Tahoe yesterday but will be back next week. I have a 13 and 16 and would not mind letting you try one out. Send me an email at thick@1cps.net and We can arrange to ride. I believe you can get RRD equipment at ASD at COyote Point and Boardsports should be carying atleast the boards.

We finally have our spring winds back, so anywhere in the bay should be good for next week.

snitkjaer
Rare Poster

Postby snitkjaer » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:38 pm

how would you compare it to other kites for example rhino 2 same low end? as light on the bar? and so on

balaton
Medium Poster

Great review

Postby balaton » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:29 pm

Really happy bout the things you wrote, because 13 Type Z is also my favourite kite and favourite size!Very good low end (useful in waves, where you need something fast and powerful) and unbeliavable high end and jumps!
cant wait to try the type 6 which martin vari is going to ride!
Regards,
Peter

KillaHz
Frequent Poster

Postby KillaHz » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:34 pm

snitkjaer wrote:how would you compare it to other kites for example rhino 2 same low end? as light on the bar? and so on
I rode Rhino 2s al last year. I loved the pop and the hangtime. I got tired of getting blown off the water towards the end of the year.

The Type Z is a 13m kite, low end is better than the 12m Rhino 2 and high end is also better (much better when unzipped). The only reason my bar pressure was ever light on the R2 was becuase I rode with the bar all the way out to the knot. I don't ride the RRD that way and it is much lighter on the bar. Unzipped the kite requires very little bar input and you barely feel the gusts in the bar.

I spent the weekend doing big kiteloops on this kite and I am afraid to say that I actually turned down some offers to try some other kites as I am getting a bit addicted to this one. I should be getting a type 6 to try out in a couple of weeks and I will review that as well.

zag
Medium Poster

Postby zag » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:49 pm

how where the upwind capabilities?

KillaHz
Frequent Poster

Postby KillaHz » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:21 pm

zag wrote:how where the upwind capabilities?
This things an upwind machine! I have been well powered on all occasions trying the 13. I have been in steady winds averaging around 16 and gusty winds averaging around 24mph. The kite seems to sit pretty far forward in the window so it is pretty effortless going upwind. I have mostly been riding the RRD broad spectrum 140cm board. This may have something to do with how well I go upwind as it rides with good speed and is still quite light for jumps. I think board shapes will start swinging back towards bigger boards as you can ride with more control, speed and range. This is one of my favorite boards so far. I just rigged up a 130cm xx so I will report back after I get a ride on that one.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:03 pm

have you tried any of the bigger sizes? Im looking to get the typeZ 20. anyone tried it?

cheers/// Otg

Return to “Reviews”