Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New trend - no bindings, but footstraps?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:34 pm

Today we discussed at my local kitebeach, if this year we won't see as many bindings as expected. If you saw the new video "Breaking Wind" and see all the tricks one or two feet of, this may be right.
But this is just one kitebeach rumors, what about the rumors anywhere else? Do you think bindings won't be used by the most kiters in the future?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Toby on 2002-02-03 19:51 ]</font>

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:43 am

Toby:

Depends on the injury rate. If you read the other forums - many upper level kiters are out with with knee and ankle problems. (Look at poor Eli in Antigua.)

It is pehaps more that they are 'extreme' kiters than the bindings they use. It would be good to hear more on the subject.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:39 am

When I'm out on my board (footstraps) I always turn my front foot a little bit more towards the direction I'm riding, since I also turn my body in the same direction. Now I'm thinking on riding in bindings and you can't turn your foot, but still turn your body. In this moment the knees have to take a special burden and position, which can cause pain.

rYaN
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rYaN » Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:30 am

yea your dam right i do the same thing i think that when you see most wake boards land the angle and prssure on there kness must be insane ,I turn my foot as well but i think that is more from a snowboarding /skate back ground ,Cause that is the most comfortable stance ,you are noy putting puressure on your lower back.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:16 pm

i think there will develop certain trends and styles.
if you see the maui-kiters with wake and bindings - they ride a certain wake-style with lots of no-whip tricks. i think these guys are hard to get off the boards w. bindings...

then - watch the slingshot movie with these mutant boards and insane no foot tricks - this is definately a new style in kiting.

and these 'hardliners' like p. trow or flash on their directionals and a certain 'surf' style with big airs and insane wave-riding...

there's still more to invent and develop even at this state, but i don't think that in a few years everyone will ride the same style on the same boards because they proofed best ....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:23 pm

that's true, Murdoc.

and good as well, since it would be boring just having one style. :smile:

Bengan
Medium Poster

Postby Bengan » Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:01 am

Here in the Maldives we see a lot of people turning to small (140-150cm) wake style boards with straps, there is a few reasons for this;

One is being able to ride wake style and still being able to go high and do one or no footed tricks.

With good shaped straps you get a super nice fit and can hold a hard edge very good BUT still having the possibility to kick the board away when something goes bad. Everyone here uses the shaped DaKine Core Contour strap.

As said earlier the straps also allows a more natural position while riding, easier to turn hips and body.

Bengan
http://www.kitesurfmaldives.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”