Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

User reviews of high wind kites

Forum for kitesurfers
chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:25 pm

I can fly me ARC 630 (4.3 projected) hybrid-foil in 24kts up to 40-45 kts. The highest winds I've ridden were 39kts. I use the smallest bar to prevent extremely quick turns of the kite and the speeds can get incredible. It definitely requires an extra mode of kite-attention, riding in winds this high, when you're so used to the large, light-wind kites moving slowly. However, by the middle of the session, I'm riding much more comfortably, and in control.

The ARC 630 absolutely rocks in high winds with incredible depower that will allow me to probably ride in 50 kts wind (controlled, but at the extreme range). The advantage lies in the rear attachment points. The further forward you move them, the more depower you get, and actually get faster turning, but since the ARC flies off front lines, the rears are slack so the turning can be easily adjusted by sheeting the bar out a bit....a great feature unlike inflatos. Also, the ARC's auto zenith tendency helps when you wipe out. Let the bar go and the kite rises to zenith and waits for you.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:08 pm

Yeah I agree... in high winds just keep it simple.... boost and enjoy the view... there will be plenty of it.

If you try to be too technicial you may put your kite in the wrong place and pay dearly for it!!!....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:12 pm

I'm planing on getting a couple of ARC's for gusty wind use (when high AR inflatables just suck vomit).

I'm talking about real discusting winds here... not the average gusty stuff.

However I also plan on using ARC's for doing spins flips etc. They don't luff and that auto zenith quality sounds bloody marvellous.

Interesting to see how they go for speed and turning compared with inflatables.....

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:50 pm

The 8m flexifoil storm is supossedly suppurb, I can't wait to get mine...

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:51 am

I tried the arc 630 out in strong very gusty winds and it was scarry as hell. It was my frist time trying an arc and I had a hard time figuring out how the depower worked. It seemed like the power and kite speed were inconsistant with what I was doing with the bar but it turned really fast all the time. Maybe the kite needed tuning and surely I could have used more practice.

I do not think the gusts were anywhere near 39 knots. V, you are a brave man.

My impression at the time was that the kite was not well-suited to gusty conditions.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:17 am

50 knots is a hell of a lot of wind for a 4.2m projected kite. For those who use inflatables that's like using an 8m tube kite.

I'm nearly maxed out with my 4.2m C Quad in 25 knots....

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:45 am

Yeah 40 knots and a 4.2 projected kite, I'd like to watch that (from safety!)...
boosting to Africa..

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:55 pm

Hey aklbob.... keen on trying an 8m X2 out in 50 knots????... You can use the kite I'll use the video camera!! :evil: :evil:

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:16 pm

The trick for me in high wind flying was Ocean Rodeo kites. Front line flyers allowed me to hold way more kite than surrounding riders. What these kites miss on low end they triple in top end. As well big tip of the day is that it allowed for glide like landings so big air lots of hang. small kites are no good for new tricks because you come down fast. These kites allowed for so much more time in the air because bigger kite with seat harness and wake bindings. Lit to the nines and not for bullshit brag but able to hold 16M in over 30 knots. Glide to new trick landings. ride hard die free.

Return to “Kitesurfing”