Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Super lightwind board - easy construction?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Super lightwind board - easy construction?

Postby ryansurf1 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:01 pm

OK boardbuilders. I have been kiting for years and have bought all of my boards. I don't want to spend the big dollars on a super light wind board and i am not sure there are many production boards that are super light wind boards (eventhough they claim). When the wind is blowing 12 mphs i can easily get out and have fun on my boards.

I am looking to build a board that will work in the 8-12 mph range. Not sure if the board (not build yet) will work better with a big 16M or big big 20+ M kite. I will worry about that later.

I have little (read none) experience with boardbuilding so this will be my first attempt. Respect to all you boardbuilders working with the exotic materials and laminants. I am sure it would be disastorous for me to attempt this first try. For this reason i am considering a easy to moderatly easy construction method. I checked out the ZeroPrestige and like the idea of a single thickness plywood construction. I know this would be very heavy, but would it be prohibitvely heavy?

So, the questions for material are if it is a single sheet plywood how thick should it be? 3/8 - 1/2". Or are two plys, 1/4 or so better? If it is plys how to laminate together?

I am guessing on a size of about 150 - 155 by about 44 - 46. Fairly straight outline, with a little taper at the tips. No rocker, with some flip at the tips, if possible. No fins. Tucked rails near the center and sharp and beveled nearing the tips. Any suggestions on these thoughts? Do any of you have a proven super light wind board design? Length, width, outline, rocker, rails, fins? A buddy still rides a first generation Lightwave 181 in super light wind. It is long, wide, and pretty flat rocker. I think i can get away with less length on a flatter rocker?

Can you suggest the best material to glass or epoxy the board? Provide the laymans term and the technical or brand name.

Can you point me in the direction of forum posts, websites, or specific information that has a good explained (with photos if possible) process?

Thanks
Ryan

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:28 pm

You can build but is easyer to buy a SURF Used board...works perfect for light winds

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:22 am

Guest ...not exactly the input i was looking for. I have a longboard which i have used for this purpose for years during the summer. I am looking to Build a board, is why i posted on the Board Builders group, but thanks anyways.

p.bay

big board

Postby p.bay » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:58 pm

Ryan, Saul (zero prestigie) rides this monster board. Its basically the size and shape of a small door. I dont know its exact dimensions but from memory its abot 6' by 2.5', I'd guess its about 5/8" thick. Laminated with S glass on the bottom. Thing to note here is that ply's have a stong side, that is they bend less in a certain diretion, watch out for that, you'll want it running the length of your board obviously.

Saul's a big guy +200lb and I've seen him on a 20M flexi riding 10mph(ish) winds. This was all last year so I might have some of my figures wrong.

Materials, any glass around 6-8oz eglas is cheaper s glass is better (I think, I might have those letter the wrong way around), polyester resin is cheaper, expoxy is better. Use marine ply no less that 5/8" thick. DOnt put rocker in it as it will flex. Saul has his board fairly squarish, I'd do the same, dont bother with fins. That should be enough to get you going

have fun

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:32 pm

p.bay...thanks. Concise and direct answers to my questions. That is a huge board he is ridng, no shit it could double as a bathroom door. Any suggestion on the shape of the rails? I went back and reread alot of the posts, but don't see much reference to rails. round (on the top), or just bevel cut 45?

p.bay

edges

Postby p.bay » Sat May 01, 2004 6:26 pm

you'll probably find the answer here.
http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm

My advice is to round down on the rail and up at the edges

As for size, build a big board and cut it down till your happy.

Postby Guest » Wed May 05, 2004 3:53 pm

Hi,
another method for building large, cheap and LIGHT boards is to make a sandwich of 2 thin plywood sheets (4mm thickness) with isolation foam (40 mm thickness) in between. This leads to a board with very little flex. one layer of glass around to protect the rails. Important: use Epoxy, not Polyester as this will destroy the foam. You can find instructions at http://www.ram-air.de/ (unfortunately only in german).

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Sat May 08, 2004 5:06 am

thanks all. I have reviewed all of the sites you mentioned. Read most of the posts on here and some relevant ones on yahoo. I think i have all of the questions answered i was looking for. Now too put it to use and do some experimenting.

Return to “Gear Builders”