Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ideal line length Naish AR5 11.5

Forum for kitesurfers
Shabby
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Shabby » Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:37 pm

When the lines of my AR5 (about 30m) broke last week i used the lines of a friend. They were a different length (shorter but dont know exactly what length though) and the kite behaved completely different. Obviously the length is of great influence, but does anyone know what a good length is to get a fast kite whithout making it too nervous??
Thanx, Shabby

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:30 pm

best trimming:
when fully powered up, the kite should stop and begin to stall (flying backwards) after 1-2seconds.
when fully depowered, the backlines are hanging so loose that you can hardly steer anymore.

the space inbetween is your depower-range :wink:

usually you can make the backlines a few cm longer i think (or was it shorter?)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:05 pm

Shabby,
I used that kite with 30 and 20m sets. I could handle a few knots more wind with the short set plus it's nice on waves. 30m for jumping bliss. Go with 27-30 for general use. I switched from the standard to Q-power line at some point and liked it much better. It's a worthwhile upgrade that you can keep when you move to a different kite. Another thing you could do to that kite is to add battens to the wing tips. Easy to do with a sewing machine and should improve turning a bunch. Have fun,
R!

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:08 pm

[quote]
On 2002-09-26 20:30, murdoc wrote:
best trimming:
when fully powered up, the kite should stop and begin to stall (flying backwards) after 1-2seconds.
quote]

The AR5 flies perfectly fine of the back lines. I've never seen it fly backwards, except in very light air.
R!

Shabby
Rare Poster

Postby Shabby » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:34 pm

Thanx for the advice!
I've already installed battens recently and they added greatly to the turning speed, especially in light wind.

Shabby

Return to “Kitesurfing”