Directional or Twintip?

Forum for kitesurfers
BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:28 pm

Directionals really rock for underpowered stuff and if you're good at riding toeside you won't need to jibe.... :smile:

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:43 pm

Hello Jo,

Your comment about longer directionals being overpowered by higher winds is spot on in my experience with two lined kites. You need to shift down in size to boards with lower planning areas to dissipate the excess kite power.

However with four line LEI kites, that can be depowered I haven't found this to be as applicable. I have had a 7.5 ft. directional out in wind 30 kts and better, doing fine and jumping well. I find the added leverage of the longer edge really helps with edging too. In the better powered conditions I think it comes down to what you are most comfortable with and have the most time on. I normally drop my board length down substantially with increasing wind (as rare as that is here), but sometimes you have to make do with a longer directional. With 4 line LEIs they have worked for me.

Rick Iossi

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:46 am

Hi Rick,
Dunno, I automatically use the smallest board I can. I have been out with a 7' directional with a well powered up kite when the wind picked up and I didn't enjoy it. The board picks up speed fast adding a load of apparent wind and I found it tended to skip/spin out a lot more than a smaller board.
Maybe I just need some more sensitve foot pressure/different style when more powered up because I almost always use this board in really light wind.
The other night I just packed it in because I really wasn't enjoying it, the board seemed to have a will of its own.
Jo

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:04 pm

When I started kiting I was using a large directional & a 2 line kite: that was the recommended set-up in those days. Keeping a floaty directional from getting pulled downwind in the gusts was almost impossible. When I switched to 4 line- no more problems.

In the lower wind range of a kite (when you are having to sinus the kite) a directional is great to ride, you can maintain your speed much better & stay upwind. However, you definitely get overpowered quicker with a big board.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:23 pm

Whats a Directional ???

..But seriously its good to have both styles of board in your quiver. For starting out I say go straight to TT or wakeboard dont bother with Directional...but when you got the skills try out some long boarding :grin: I supose your crossover sport will also be a deciding factor when you are confronted with board choice

Windsurfer would feel more at home on Directional jibing would be easy for him/her....

Wakeboarder would prefer wakeboard or TT swicth riding would be a breeze..

At the end of the day its nice to be able to master all board types there's nothing stops us...except maybe the Minister of Finance's :smile:

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:00 pm

Hey Wipirider,

I do not agree with what you say on staring out on a wake or TT, as an Instructor I have seen many people trying to get on the board with a far too small board that slides sideways.

The key, for me, is always to put the student on a BIG directional until he gets on the board, then a smaller directional until he can comfortably go back and forward.

Then a TT or wake and you will still see him slding around for a while.

This way you are guaranteed to have someone on a board pretty fast, the board is stabile and lets you focus on the kite flying.

Sean

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:06 am

Same here...I normally used to use a directional for first getting people started up and riding whenever doing lessons until I acquired the LFT's. I now use these as well with beginners with as much or more success than a directional. They start out on this board with a little sliding action, not much, but that's to be expected when a newb jumps on any TT. But it is minimized, and so far, they have all been able to deal with it no problem on this board. I feel I am now able to give the student his/her choice of which type they would like to start on....directional or twintip, cuz I have some of each that they can get going on fairly easily, early, quick and in light winds. And let's face it, people like having different choices to choose from in front of them.

Sean, if you are doing lessons, maybe you should try to get your hands on an LFT to demo for yourself and school. You, and not to mention your students, will be most happy with it I think. We have been.

Pea's Out!

Johnny

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:22 pm

Hi Johnny,

I use the Naish soft deck directionals for teaching... Anyone can get on the 8 footer... :smile:

Now I got hold of the new Naish Soft Deck School TT's 6.2 and they are worlking wonders as well.

Thx,

Sean

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:43 pm

Sounds like a good program Sean. So you DO have a TT to offer them too. I imagine pretty much anyone could get up on an 8 footer! Keep up the good work.

Johnny

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:34 pm

Where I kite the wind is usually pretty onshore & often very inconsistent. I have noticed that riders on the wakes & TTs are always riding within a few hundred feet of the shore. With my directional I am able to work my way well upwind in just a couple of tacks, even if the wind is flukey - I drive it upwind in the gusts & coast in the lulls. Once I am upwind I can ride off the wind when ever I need to keep my speed up & so I ride in comfort & style as opposed to constantly pinching to stay upwind.

With my TT I need to be really powered up to get that far upwind, however it IS more comfortable when really powered up.

Simcoe Ace

Return to “Kitesurfing”