Reaching your kite from the leash

Forum for kitesurfers
Backloop
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Backloop » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:59 am

Hi:

Which is the best way to reach your kite once you eject it from the QR and have a leash. If your are in the sea and pull from the line that have the leash the kite also pulls and hurts your hands. Please any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:13 am

Swim toward the kite while pulling yourself along the line - don't try to pull the kite toward you though. You should be able to do this whilst not having to much tension on the lines.

If your leash is well setup, when it is deployed you should still be bale to regather your bar and relaunch though...

Backloop
Rare Poster

Postby Backloop » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:38 am

Thanks for the response. When you swim towards the kite you release your leash from the harness?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:48 am

it depends on how your leash is setup and what your doing really. If your not planning on relaunching the kite then yes take the leash of and wind the lines up.

If your planning on relaunching I wouldn't recomend taking our leash off at all - it could leave open some bad stiuations, like a runaway kite etc.

Why are you swimming toward the kite? to pack it up and self rescue?

Backloop
Rare Poster

Postby Backloop » Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:23 am

Yes, when I leave the bar and use the leash all I want is to reach the kite and swim back to shore. Do you think is better to completely release from the bar and leash and catch a the line and swim towards the kite? or do it with the leash and with more risk of tangle your legs with the lines?

Thanks.

kGreg
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kGreg » Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:03 am

2 recommendations:
- I always wear a half-finger glove (Amara), pulling kites can be held more easily with it.
- a friend of mine, while pulling in the lines in deep water got tangled in the lines. He couldn't come out of it, only one hand was free. He had a flotation vest on, which saved his life.

Regards,

kGreg

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:30 pm

just get to the bar.
then wind up the safety-line.
if you have a wipika-like setup with long leader lines, wind up double the lenghth of the leader line.
if you have a system likt the naish x2, north, airush etc. just wind up what slided through the bar ... .

then start winding up all 4 lines to get to the kite. if you're there, detach the lines from the kite and start swimming :wink:

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:57 pm

If you have leashed out in the water and want to get to your kite you need to pull in along the leash until you get to the point where your leash meets the line. DO NOT LET GO OF THIS POINT !!! So long as you have a firm grasp at this point the kite will not power up.

Whilst holding onto this point by the leash/sleave begin to pull the bar towards you....

When you get to the bar STILL HOLDING ONTO THE POINT WHERE LEASH MEETS BAR... begin tyo wrap this ONE line around the bar 3-5 full wraps... the kite is now unable to power up even though you have the bar in hand.

You can now begin to wrap the rest of the lines around the bar along with the one that is leashed until you reach the kite safely.

This is how you should be taught by IKO qualified instructors.

DO NOT swim to the kite along one line as it could still power up enuff to force you to let go... you must wrap up on the way... main deal is to stop the kite from powering up/re-launching.

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:59 pm

Right on Murdoc... same same. I missed your post :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”