Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Elia
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

making fins

Postby Elia » Mon May 03, 2004 9:44 am

Looking to make my own fins. Two ideas. 1 is to make a form and make a epoxy/glass fin. the other if posible is to buy g10 and gind it down. Anyideas on how to do either of these??

Invertedflyby
Rare Poster

Postby Invertedflyby » Tue May 18, 2004 6:07 am

I don't know much about composites or molds so take this with clumps of salt... You could get plaster of paris or maybe even play dough and shape it around a fin that you or a buddy already has. Then when it dries you would have a mold for your epoxy/etc fin. I don't know what G10 is but I made a fin out of 1/4" ply by cutting it to the basic shape I wanted and then sanding it down just like a wakeboard fin. It is kinda thick, I could probably go a little thinner with it but don't mind the thickness as it will help keep the speed in check for a beginner.

Postby Guest » Tue May 18, 2004 11:04 am

I wouldn't know where to find G10, but if you want really solid fins, go for this option.

I made a mold of plaster, with a fin I shaped in wood.
But: I had to break the mold in 2 nice pieces to get out my wooden fin.
Afterwards I applied some handcream to both sides to have them sticking together, then I poured in some epoxy and let it cure.
Thanks to the handstuff I was able to release both halfs and simply take out the epxoy fin.
Just sand your fin until its smooth again and you'll have a perfect one.

Better way would be to buy some silicone for molds.
that way, you don't have to break it... just get your example-fin out.

by the way, normal epoxy fins are much cheaper than G10's and you make as many of them as you want, in all kind of shapes! So if you break one, don't be sad, you'll have a new one in no time.

radiorental
Medium Poster

go finless

Postby radiorental » Tue May 18, 2004 3:48 pm

http://www.neka.us/chat/posts-neka/conceptV2.jpg

or check out maric boards out of south africa for some ideas.

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 6:27 am

all interesting Ideas I was thinking about using wax as the mold and pouring in the epoxy this way I don't have a two part mold. Basically the same as what was done on http://www.cabareteairforce.com/picture ... g/130fins/ however I can't seem to find casting plastic. I'll expariment and tell you what happens.

Made my first vac board and will ride it this weekend hope to make a few more this summer.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:45 pm

I'd love to know how this board was riding...
I suppose you've tried it already? Any comments?

adventuresaboard
Rare Poster

Postby adventuresaboard » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:01 pm

get one you want, then make a rubber mold. Then you can pop out as many as you want. looki into west systems epoxy or MAS epoxies

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:13 pm

you can buy sheet G-10- plastics vendor like Glue Products
or try Delrin again plastics vendor
or STARBOARD- this found at marine stores

Grind what you need

its not that tough to do with a belt sander
turned upside down and held fast

the consistency is not the same as a mold
but how many are you really making here
one off should be fine

I made a set from an old G-10 fin
worked out great

radiorental
Medium Poster

Postby radiorental » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'd love to know how this board was riding...
I suppose you've tried it already? Any comments?
If you're talking about my rail fin concept, it works a treat. A real treat. Its really designed for flat water and tons of power but I've had it out in gust of 20/23mph on my pl g18 in mad chop and it just holds an edge like glue. I'm a few revisions on from that board. Currently a 122 with rail fins on one side and a normal side cut modelled after a jimmy on the other, the bindings can be switched around

Lots of fun, a little too much concave makes the board a little too skatey but I think I'm going to sort that with bindings instead of straps.

Again, probably best suited to flater water but the concave suits the chop at the same time. the rail fin starts acting like a foil above a certain speed and it feels like your riding a knife through the water.. AWESOME feeling but probably not everyone's cup of tea. 122 is probably a little too short as the board really twitches if you put both fins in the water while travelling.

pauric

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:50 am

Wow, last August, Board Builders seems to be in another time continuum, so August isn't too long ago then,

Always been interested in the Rail Fin ever since I saw Ian Youngs rail fin on his Wind Design Australia web page.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/boards.html

I've wanted to order a board from Ian, the prices are excellent, but the shipping is the problem for me.

I shaped my own version of "Rail Fins" based on a stretched NACA 63 series foil.
The foam and glassed fins are so nice that I don't what to use the originals, so got me some West Marine mold release and will make glass molds. The fins are symetrical, so the molds will be halves, then two halves will be joined to make each fin.

Seems that this type of fin will only work on a directional. So working on my jibe and toe-side riding skills.

Return to “Gear Builders”