Express Test : North Kites Rhino 2 14.0

Forum for kitesurfers
Philou
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Philou » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:51 pm

<b><a href="http://www.flysurf.com/frontblocks/test ... anguages=2" target="_blank">See the test</a></b>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:02 am

On that same link there is a test on the 12m X2... just incase people think it's all "hype".

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:54 pm

That review of the rhino told us nothing!! But good review of the X2, spot on. I would comment that the maximum wind you can hold this kite in is less than equivalent 12m kites, not because of the lack of depower, but because it's a friggin powerful 12m kite! More power than 16m kites had last year!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:25 pm

On 2002-10-02 21:54, aklbob wrote:
That review of the rhino told us nothing!! But good review of the X2, spot on. I would comment that the maximum wind you can hold this kite in is less than equivalent 12m kites, not because of the lack of depower, but because it's a friggin powerful 12m kite! More power than 16m kites had last year!
What 16m kite were you on last year? From what I've seen, the X2 16 has about the same low end as the Aero 16s but the X2 riders work their kite a bunch more to get that low end. "Powerful" is one of the few things I have not yet heared wrt the X2.

PM
Rare Poster

Postby PM » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:35 pm

Why is everyone so woried about the performance of the X2, Rhino II, Psycho, ...,!!! I think that we are forgeting that is the pilot that makes the kite, and not the kite that makes the pilot!!A good pilot can be good with any kite, so, why all this fever.
Just ride.

jpont2000
Medium Poster

Postby jpont2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:46 pm

Hi there,

I've tried the 12 and 16 Rhino 2s. I can only compare them to the toro 16.

The Rhino's for sure go much much higher. Their lift is incredible.

Both sizes are stable in the air. I didn'm make them fall more than once in the day even though I'm a beginner.

They are not more difficult to relaunch (if not even easier than the Toro) when the wind is strong. On the otherhand I'm sure that they'll be much more difficult to relaunch in light wind (hi AR).

The pull is much more powerful than the Toro. I guess that the windrange is a bit smaller on the 16 rhino than on the 16 toro, but I still have to get to know the kites better.

The rhino goes upwind better. I guess it's because of the higher AR.

Finally I have to say that the Rhino scared the sh**t out of me on the first jump because I wasn't expecting to go so high. I'm not kiting as "loose" as I was with the Toro. I hope as I get to know the kite better I'll be more at ease. :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:01 am

The X2 doesn't have pull... it has lift... 2 different things... The AERO..... that has pull.

I've never used a big X2 but I can compare my 12m X2 to my 11.5m ARX and the ARX can be parked earlier.

It's interesting to hear aklbob talk about the X2 pulling far harder than his previous kites but remember what kites he used to use.... Airblasts.... kites famous for their top end but NOT their bottom end.

The X2 has far better top end than my ARX but not quite the bottom end.... The AERO has even more of a bottom and than the ARX but none turn like the X2 which is very very fast for an inflatable.

If I got a big X2 it'd be more for over 10 knots as these kites will turn fast and jump high.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:07 am

The windrange of the X2 is very good....

As aklbob rightly pointed out the X2 makes up for it's lack of torque by it's turning speed.... the top end is increased....

If we are talking about 10-25 knots here as a wind range... that's the same as 12.5 - 30 knots that I hear people saying about the 8.4 AB... well the same ratio about 2.5:1.. that's not bad..

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:07 am

The windrange of the X2 is very good....

As aklbob rightly pointed out the X2 makes up for it's lack of torque by it's turning speed.... the top end is increased....

If we are talking about 10-25 knots here as a wind range... that's the same as 12.5 - 30 knots that I hear people saying about the 8.4 AB... well the same ratio about 2.5:1.. that's not bad..

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:16 am

interesting that jpont2000 says the range seems less compared to the Toro (which I've heard had more range than the original Rhino, but has scarey lift, and turns faster, so that puts it in the expert category I would think! ( much like the X2!)
PS. Coming from 2001 Airblasts, the X2's are very powerful...

Return to “Kitesurfing”