Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Love my Olry - what should my next board be - a Picklefork?

Forum for kitesurfers
BillF
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BillF » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:58 pm

Hi,
Been learning the sport this Summer, riding the only equipment I have -- an Olry 175 and a CO2 8.5 rigged 2 lines. Now that I've finally figured out how to stay upwind with this setup, I'm curious what I could do with a wakeboard-style board. Lots of folks on this site love high-end equipment like the WaveTrays, but meanwhile I can find used Pickleforks for $100-$200! Any recommendations on a wakeboard? (I'm 155 lbs [=70k]) Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillF on 2002-10-01 03:29 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:21 am

olry? who's olry? what ever happened to the old school kitesurfers anyway? never hear much on those guys anymore. do they even compete? have the newer younger kid kitesurfers pushed beyond their limits? is anyone going to advise this guy on which board to get next?

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:08 am

Bill,
You can get a picklfork for little money, put straps on it, and reach intermediate levels pretty soon. Then you should get a "dream board". The difference is significant! I am also in the Bay and I ride X-Shooter 144. Let me know the next time you go out so you can take it for a spin.
I'd recommend 4-line kites also, but that's another topic.
Enjoy the north winds!!!
V

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:24 am

who is Franz (ie olry), certainly still one of the best kiteboarder in da world.. and even the new pusher can't punish as Franz does... does the new shots do Back loop with 360 of the kite in the mean time on the axis? (ie the does a back loop and don't have the untangle the kite).. sure they don't... Franz is doing it... and he lands it at mach 10 !!! whatever whoever can think of him, and I'm not one of his greatest fan actualy, Franz is the Mozart of kiteboarding.. he has a galaxy ahead EVERYONE in the kiteboarding scene.. about the old school.. of course they are still here and they have still a veryhigh level.. the fact most of them are no more interest in competing does not means they don't have neither the level to kick some ass or they are done.. not at all they have a different style and most of them are not interrested in all those skateboarding with a kite move (ie no foot) and they prefer to live their live to kiteboard than spending their time on events... take an exemple of Mauricio, Lou or Nina.. do they compete? they can't go one round in today challenge.. but still they are some of the most creative kiteboarders... exactly the same with Christo Tasti... sure comp is no more his own interrest but that does not make him an average kiteboarder.. he has a terrific still and works to promote the image of kiteboarding... so before telling silly things go in a rider area during a contest.. and you will see how much the new shots respect the old school..

concerning the board.. I rode an olry 175 for long and it is a great great board.. you can go very far with it and I have doubt you have pushed its limits.. but if you feel you have, then take a shorter board and that's it..

about Wakeboard, forget it, the truth is not in that path, except if you live in maui and want to do like everybody !!!

Greg

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:11 pm

On 2002-10-02 09:24, Anonymous wrote:
... so before telling silly things go in a rider area during a contest.. and you will see how much the new shots respect the old school..

Greg
silly things? i wasn't telling anything greg, i think i was asking wasn't i? i appreciate your answer especially since it was only one but no need to try to make me out to be silly for asking is there?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:09 pm

so receive my apologize then... must be it was the morning ehe heh

infact at the moment I'm a bit pissed of by all this people preaching the new school and saying that the oldies are dead...

I speak on my behalf and my behalf only : I have a lot of respect for the new shots cuz they are technicaly stunning !!! they manage things with their board that we would even not think about it... but estheticaly speaking, most of the new school tricks are far from being so great... I highly prefer a neat high table top blocked at 6 or 7 meters than a 360 board at 50 cm... also I feel that too many people put so many on the contest while at the moment the contest are nothing but a big comedy.. no ones seems to be able to judge accuratly and there is more interrest deals than real sport.. and I feel so sorry for the riders who have to pay for it.. I mean some don't go the next round, not because they are less skilled but simply because they are not in the right team... this sux !!

so here my apologize again

Greg
PS the 175 Olry is a great board.. and I doubt that joe six pack rider overcome it

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:26 pm

On 2002-09-29 23:58, BillF wrote:
Hi,
Been learning the sport this Summer, riding the only equipment I have -- an Olry 175 and a CO2 8.5 rigged 2 lines. Now that I've finally figured out how to stay upwind with this setup, I'm curious what I could do with a wakeboard-style board. Lots of folks on this site love high-end equipment like the WaveTrays, but meanwhile I can find used Pickleforks for $100-$200! Any recommendations on a wakeboard? (I'm 155 lbs [=70k]) Thanks!

You will probably not like the pickle fork. The Olry has big fins that make the board super easy to ride. The pickle fork has tiny fins and will skate and slide all over the place because you are used to the Olry. The pickle fork will not go upwind as well, and will be very bouncy in choppy water compared to the Olry. You would be happier on a bigger finned twin tip. I would look around some more for a better board. Save your money and continue to progress with the Olry until you have about $300.00. With $300.00 you can get a good used twin tip.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:30 pm

I have an Orly 175 and two pickelforks. One of them is a bit short at 142 cm for moderate winds at my 185 lbs. and doesn't get used all that much. The Orly is a nice board but in open ocean, slightly over-powered conditions those fins just don't quite keep you from skidding. The rails on the Orly aren't that sharp for edging. The rails on the 171 pickelfork are quite sharp and the board edges well. So if you are inclinded to go with a pickelfork I would think that it should serve you well.

Then there are the newer "lunch tray" and other type of boards that others have mentioned. As long as you have adequate wind, at 155 lbs. you have the option of using these smaller boards and tearing it up. If your winds are moderate, expect to do downwinders. If you winds are light, you might want to go back to your Orly 175 cm.

The main point is that at 155 lb. with adequate wind you have some good options.

Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:37 pm

exactly the same with Christo Tasti... sure comp is no more his own interest but that does not make him an average kiteboarder.. he has a terrific still and works to promote the image of kiteboarding... so before telling silly things go in a rider area during a contest.. and you will see how much the new shots respect the old school..

Greg
Tasti may be old school but as a rider and competitor he is still very good. He isn't a small guy and yet in 10 kt. or less wind he was endlessly doing tricks at this years Kiteboard Masters in Miami, FL. He did respectively well in the competition against Martin Vari and Julien Sudrat, the two world champs at the time.

Checkout all the shots of Tasti and the other guys in motion at:

http://groups.msn.com/flkitesurfer/shoebox.msnw

under: Kiteboard Masters Comp. 2002

Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:13 pm

Nice shots Ricki,

I work with Christo on his communication... would it be possible to have the pics he is featured in bigger res for our promotion? whenever we use them, be sure you would be credited...

thanx in advance,

Greg

Return to “Kitesurfing”