Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Love YOur Views on Kites Please

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Grouse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Love YOur Views on Kites Please

Postby Grouse » Thu May 27, 2004 10:02 pm

Wondering if anyone is good enough to give me some color on the different brands.

i.e. I am considering my first purchase in Kite-Surfing, would like to buy 3 kites and there seems to be a big difference between prices.

Eg. CABRINHA, Liquid Force , or Slingshots versus BEST.

If I was to compare the same type of kite in Size and aspect, there seems to be a large discount.

What I am asking is is this discout due to performance, durability or just that Best offers great deals?

Any of the above brands would be HUGELY welcomed and appreciated..

:bye:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Fri May 28, 2004 12:06 am

theres a few guys who will have experience of two of the brands on the forums, but i cant think of anyone off hand with experience of all 3, maybe there is.

for my sins i have repped fro both slingshot and best in the uk so i know both the products very well indeed.

there are obvious construction differences between the fules and the yargas, bests mid aspect kite, but having flown them both a lot, the differences i have found are as follows.

1. the slingies are faster to inflate and deflate
2. the slingies can turn a little bit faster, and i do mean a little, but it is noticable.
3. the best kites have more depower and range, more obviously in bests favour than the turning thing.
4. the bests have more lift and hangtime, this was the first thing i noticed when flying the kite.

other than that the differences in feel and power delivery to bar pull, depower to bar travel and back line tension and bar weight are all very much matters for personal preference.

both kites have excellently equipped safety features and staunch supporters in both camps.

the price thing is more obvious than any of the flight differences and you have to make your mind up whether you are paying for the susposed brand qualities or the characteristics of the kite you are flying.

neither brand have any known faults with their products and both have enviable reputations for product back up and service.

liquid force i know nothing about from experience so cant comment.

i do believe the above to be an entirely fair comparrison and welcome comments from riders with experience of ownership of both brands.

oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby oceanplay » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:22 pm

just get the best kite you will be super happy with the yarga, i am and i rode cab, naish and rrd. they fly great the price is not in any way close to there performance. love my best kites. work great and didn't need to brake the bank in fact i saved 1000's of dollars. the 21 nem is great also

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:14 pm

If you're new to this - buy used. Don't, yet, follow some marketing guru and become a 'brand Moonie'.

Buy a kite for your weight and fly the S__t out of it for a season. ...buy two sizes/brands if you're winds are shifty, but $300 will get you a great kite that will actually carry you for two seasons if you can resist the urge to declare who your God is.

Jim

ikitesurf.com usually has about 500 kites for sale...

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:44 pm

reviews of available new kit aside.

the second hand option is always valid, especially of you are going to thrash your first kite.

Return to “Reviews”