Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What kite to go for when you don't know your style of riding

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:11 pm

Every one goes on about different kites for different styles of riding.. What are the styles (wake, wave???)Presently flying a 2001 8.4 AB with 175 Olry.. Really like the kite but would like to change for a newer kite and like the idea of the solid constructing on the Rhino1 but never flown them.. Will it suit my style :~)???

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:23 pm

There is more to riding style than wake or twin tip. I think chicken loop, fixed loop, front line flying kites, and back line flying kites, are all elements to be considered when talking about rider styles or preferences.

I see a new style of kiter coming along that doesn’t use the fixed loop. Some don’t really understand what the fixed loop can do for them. The new style kiter skips the 2 line beginner phase, and goes straight to 4 line. 4 lines are so much easier to use now with stable kites like the Aero and Toro. This is the new way to get into the sport. This puts people on the chicken loop right from the start. Newbies can’t hand much power, so the chicken loop is a blessing. We have a bunch of local kiters that are quite good now, that learned this way. What’s interesting to me, is how this style has allowed them to become good quickly, yet prevented them for fully understanding why the fixed loop is there. These new style kiters are quick to pump up bigger kites whenever the wind dies a little. They are never happy unless very powered. I asked one of them who was complaining about not being powered enough, why he didn’t use the fixed loop. He said he can’t hold his edge in the fixed loop, so he never uses it. I think this is a sad result of this new style of riding. These new guys never learn to use all the tools available to them. There is extra power available in the fixed loop, it’s a shame not know how to use it. Another new style local rider, went to the Gorge Games, met the top pros, chatted with them about gear, and discovered for the first time why the fixed loop was there. He saw the worlds best using both fixed and chicken loops during their heats. This made him want to learn to use both.

Having said all that, I suspect you could be a chicken loop style rider. The Air Blast just leads people to that style. The Rhino1 flies with all lines under pressure. It would be a radical change in style from the Air Blast. The Toro is a better kite than the Rhino1. The North team competed with the Toro. The Rhino1 is good if buying second hand, if buying new, go Toro or Rhino2. But be aware, the Toro works well with both styles of riding, chicken and fixed. Learn to use both, and maximize the range.

I hear some people like the no bar pressure feel of the Air Blast. They are chicken loop style riders. I suggest they go to the gym and get some arm strength. That is a ridiculous reason for limiting yourself to one style. Learn to use all the tools available and experience maximum range and performance.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:41 pm

cheers Dwight, I can ride both fixed and chicken but ur spot on I prefer the chicken as i feels more comfortable in the gusty conditions(the norm). If the rhino1 feels different and the Toro isn't as good at handling the gust, would it be best to stick to the devil I know (wipi, takoon), could be an expensive lesson...

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:01 pm

My main kite is a 12m X2 and that also flies on the front lines and hence is designed for the chickenloop.....

That's when I ride directional..... but when on the wakeboard I find it too gutless and find that the fixed loop works better.

The fixed loop definately gives more power... even with a kite like the X2..... even more so with my previous kite which was the 11.5m ARX.

Get used to the fixed loop then you'll be able to ride unhooked easier... which opens a whole new avenue alltogehter....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:04 pm

Is it true that the Wipika Bars don't have a fixed loop on them?? I noticed that on the Wipika bars that a couple of guys use at my local beaches.... no fixed loop.... just twist grip chicken style....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:43 pm

On 2002-10-03 14:41, Anonymous wrote:
cheers Dwight, I can ride both fixed and chicken but ur spot on I prefer the chicken as i feels more comfortable in the gusty conditions(the norm). If the rhino1 feels different and the Toro isn't as good at handling the gust, would it be best to stick to the devil I know (wipi, takoon), could be an expensive lesson...
The Toro has more range and in general, is a newer design and therefore is a better kite than the older Rhino1. It must jump better too or the North team wouldn’t have preferred it.

The Toro works equally good riding fixed or chicken loop. Some air blast riders are girly about insisting on no bar pressure because they ride pulling the bar “inâ€

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:57 pm

Gusty conditions: chicken loop is better.
Steady conditions: Fixed is better.
Except that now as I am getting better, I have learned that gusty conditions are just as much fun on a fixed loop. In a lull, just cruz along. When a gust hits that is so strong that you cannot hold your edge (or just barely can), this is the time to Jump! If the gusts are lasting a lot longer than the time it takes to come down, then you can always just adjust the trim strap.

I started with 2000 Wipi FreeAirs and converted to 4 line chicken loop. These kites have a lot of back line pressure and so as I learned to ride more powered up, there was too much arm pull for me (unless I was fully sheeted out). So now I only use fixed loop with these kites. I agree with Dwight. This has taught me how to edge better and how to ride more powered up. I still have a long way to go though.

I say learn all the styles! I like my directional and twin equally well and like switching back and forth during the same day.

I just bought a Toro, so I am going to experiment with the Chicken loop again.

Alan

tikerak
Rare Poster

Postby tikerak » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:14 pm

hi guys..i learned with a 8.4 airblast.. using the chiken loop..how do you use the fixed loop??

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:20 pm

I ride wipi,8.4 11.8, with bridals, 100% chick loop surf style I like linked down wind s-turns kite from one edge of the window to the other. constant sheeting changes required, but I still have the fixed loop if the shackle fails you have to have a place to hook in so you can depower and reconnect don't f-up and think you don't need them both!!!! you have been warned. best of luck?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:04 pm

Fokiten,
it is easier to do jumps where you need hangtime to do tricks like one/no-foots, when you are hooked into the fixed loop.
Also I feel safer in the fixed loop when doing deadmans.

Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”