Forum for kitesurfers
hwenn
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hwenn » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:10 am

Hi
I'm considering buying a 5'2" NRG board so I can go upwind more easily, especially in light air. Is this board too small? Should I get a mutant instead? I've never really ridden a directional before (only my surfboard which sucked) so I REALLY appreciate any words of wisdom.

Good Winds

Henrik

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:37 am

We have a guy here who rode the 170 F-one TT. He always struggled to go upwind, so he bought the NRG. That didn't solve his problem either. He now rides a 147 wave tray and is finally happy. I don't know the details about all his problems. I don't kite with the guy much.

I rode directionals before I switched to twin tips. I think a good twin tip goes upwind better. I feel like being able to use the front foot and keep a longer rail length in the water, makes the TT beat the directional upwind. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but it was my experience. I'd demo some more twin tips before going with a directional.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:36 am

One of the friends in the bay is riding NRG and he goes as much upwind as all of us with wakestyle boards, but when he loads for a jump you can tell the height difference!
I'll stick with my flexy wakestyle 144.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:54 pm

I thought NRG went out of business? As for the guy on the wake style going higher....I think you will find that given equal rider skills a guy on a good 5'2 directional will look down on you, of course thats just my opinion. NRG boards especially the latest ones ( before January ) were designed by Jeff Tobias and I am sure they will be an excellent choice. As I say to everyone though, don't buy before you try and make sure you try as many diferent boards as possible. There is a magical board out there for you , find it before you buy something you don't like.
Aloha Royce.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:07 pm

There was an article about John Ammundson in the canadian kiteboard mag. It says NRG was Will James company, with shapes by John. Tobias had John do his shapes too. John still builds their boards and John's shapes were used on the North production boards.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:01 pm

Dwight, does NRG still exist? Jeff said they were no longer in production. They looked very similar to the North boards.
Either way NRGs were/are great boards.

ego_x
Rare Poster

Postby ego_x » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:47 pm

Hi I have a NRG 5'2"board usin whol this year. i recognized the board is much easier than other bord in that shap and size. i let it make 2 wake fins to make in the front, but till now i wasnt usi it as a mutant.:/
i like that board very much. my only problem is just the footstraps, i cannot fix my legs good enough in the footstraps.maybe an other footstrap will be ok...any ideas kind of footstrap?
whatever ..i like that board, i just can advise for other kiters who likes directional Ksurinf too...

ego_x
Rare Poster

Postby ego_x » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:56 pm

i forgot sth: i use that board usualy on heavy waved water (small waves comin all through in lenght and heigt form 0,5 ro 1,5 meters, not classical shore-brakes)so very wacky and incalculable conditions. but the borard feels good to handle...the turns and foot changes after a jibe can be learned too on it...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:07 am

On 2002-10-04 16:01, Royce wrote:
Dwight, does NRG still exist? Jeff said they were no longer in production. They looked very similar to the North boards.
Either way NRGs were/are great boards.
The article I read didn't say. The web site is gone, so I think they are gone.

hwenn
Medium Poster

Postby hwenn » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:09 am

Thanks for the advice. I was kind of up in the air between a 2001 mutant 5'2" or the NRG, but I think I am going to get the NRG. I've never ridden a directional before, but I am hoping it will improve performance in light air.

Peace

Henrik

Return to “Kitesurfing”