Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

BEST yaga11 Thanks Eric...

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:54 pm

First try: wind: 12-18kts...me: 85kg...board: 151 custom. Very stable and not too squirrely. I like anything that treats me well - this does. It pulled like a draft horse and took the gusts without panic.

I don't like the frat-boy attitude...I don't like their spamming my email, but if some rich guy is going to sell me a kite for $500...hey - I'm not totally stoopid?!

Hey Eric and Peter: glad those goombahs were smart enough to let you guys do the kite while they were selecting the silicone. Cheers.

Jim

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sun May 02, 2004 1:13 pm

Second go: wind sorta the same with near total dropouts to about 5kts. With enough wind, we're in-the-game but this kite hindenburgs in a heartbeat when things get shifty. It's not hard to get back off the water, but you gotta be careful not to overfly it. When I'd loose the juice - I'd let it fall back and keep it moving R/L...'cause the second it came to zenith...it came to Z+ and... down it floats.

I was out on a GK14 for half the day, and switched to this because I like to use everything I bring. Mind you - most people weigh less than I, and were out on 17's, 16's, 12's, etc.. This is an 11. ...so, you gotta fly harder and use a longer board (LW169).

I can fly this like a stunt kite and could pretty much hold my ground tho' way underpowered. In the gusts, she'd take-the-bit.

Jim

oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby oceanplay » Wed May 12, 2004 12:59 pm

Wetstuff wrote:Second go: wind sorta the same with near total dropouts to about 5kts. With enough wind, we're in-the-game but this kite hindenburgs in a heartbeat when things get shifty. It's not hard to get back off the water, but you gotta be careful not to overfly it. When I'd loose the juice - I'd let it fall back and keep it moving R/L...'cause the second it came to zenith...it came to Z+ and... down it floats.

I was out on a GK14 for half the day, and switched to this because I like to use everything I bring. Mind you - most people weigh less than I, and were out on 17's, 16's, 12's, etc.. This is an 11. ...so, you gotta fly harder and use a longer board (LW169).

I can fly this like a stunt kite and could pretty much hold my ground tho' way underpowered. In the gusts, she'd take-the-bit.

Jim
i couldn't get mine to hindi i jumped under it and it just went down and back floated to one side and pull on the other side and it went up like a rocket.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:48 pm

cant get any of my yargas to hindy at all, i can make the 16m nemesis drop if i bring it over head in zero wind and then let it go to full depower, but i can also catch it half way down if i want too.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Wed May 19, 2004 12:57 pm

Third time is charm... This time I was still underpowered at about 15kts, but I had my hotrod 230 directional. This board knows nothing but speed and this day got upwind farther and faster than any of the other local crew. As it came up to about 18, they finally made it upwind.

....and you Best Boys act like old queens - running around to every post to tiddy up if someone, even hints, that these kites are not 'the only thing worth flying'. They're great for the price, but I bet you'd be done if you had to charge Naish prices...

"They HINDERBERG." I'm only the third person to post it. No big deal. It simply means: don't fly them in gusty conditions where the wind can fall out on you. A North would be a better choice in those conditions. (my opinion because I have direct expirence with both)

I'll come back when I've got 20+ to work with.

Jim

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:43 pm

...early June update: Ran over to catch an onshore 15-20+kt breeze.
However, I went bayside rather than ocean. It meant the dunes were breaking the wind into chunks, so I didn't get any of the clean 20's....

Fiddle farted around and found the Y-11 was too small for the lulls, and I got the same old treatment: 'fall out of the sky s___t', when the kite overflys. Given I wasn't going to have too productive of a day, I decided to do a test...

Same conditions, same lineset - I threw up a 2002 Black Tip 12 (I can't spell Cabrinnah and they gave it some silly number like a 9-3, but it's overall 12M and very similar in profile when you lay it under the Y-11, except the tips stick out farther.)

1. I love the Cabby primary valve, but oddly: it's harder to pump up? It get's my vote for quality detail - maybe it'd loose it if I had to replace one.

2. Two years older - it did not seem to give up much to a 2004 kite.

3. The BIG difference was in the air. The BT simply does not fall out in the same conditions. It rocked back on its lines in the lull...would do that rocking chair, stall-n dive off to the side if it really left off...but never overflew.

The BT was also a LOT slower. That's probably better for a newbie, as the kite needs less of your eyeball time. I like the stunt kite aspect to the Y-11 because I fly them harder than most, as I often go smaller before larger at the start of the day.

4. A suprise - the BT will relaunch better/easier. In previous, pretty solid winds the Y-11 came off easily, but the Cabby got into position faster and went to the edge quicker in these crappy conditions. Really, I was suprised.

For $500. the Y-11 is a good buy, but I got the BT from a friend for $350. (as a newbie he'd been taken on one too many scary rides...) If I didn't have a kite and got to test them like this before buying one - the BT would have won easily.

As good of a value the Y-11 is, "compared to 2003 suggested retail prices of major brands", it's not that great a value compared to a branded kite used. Given that there's about 500 kites at any given moment in the ikitesurf.com classifieds - and most retailers have 2003's at markdown; there's plenty of choice in the lowend.

Mind you, I'm glad I have the Y-11, but I'm more glad I have five other kites to pump up.

....and if you're ever in my neck of the woods: you're welcome to try either - as long as you're not a kite-crasher.

Jim

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:31 pm

Jim - Keep the struts and LE pumped up hard, and keep more rear line tension in light winds. With more rear line tension the kite won't overshoot the window.

My old 02 Aeros have way less tendency to luff than any 2003 or newer kite I have flown, and they relaunch easier. They also turn like tuna boats and pull downwind like semi trucks. I'll take faster turning, better upwind, and more depowerability over easier relaunching and slightly more resistance to luffing. Luffing and relaunching were only a problem for me when I was still learning.

I think the differences you are describing exist across all brands. The only difference in the Best/EH kites is they have narrower LE and struts which need lots of air pressure to keep the kite flying right. Again a trade off, but I'll take the more aerodynamic LE and struts if all it means is a bit harder pumping.

steffeno
Rare Poster

Postby steffeno » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:02 am

It sounds like your using your 11m Yarga in to light wind conditions 5knot lulls for a 20m+ plus kite is really pushing it so for your 11m its just not going to work properly. If your a bit heavier like me you have to be looking at 18knots+ before the 11m really works.

If the wind is gusting from 5 to 18knots then its allways going to pretty tricky to fly any kite and usally a good call is to wait for better conditions.

I was kiting at a beach on wednesday where high water came right up to the sand dunes. I watched several kiters hindenburg different kites due to the turbulance causes by the dunes which = massive holes in the wind. Again waiting for the tide to go out to allow launching away from the dunes is a better bet.

I have just got my hands on an 11m yarga but have yet to try it out. I will let you know how I get on.

Oliver

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:16 pm

To illustrate the comparison of the 2002 Cabby Black Tip to the Y-11, here's the picture I took the day the Y-11 came...

In the first season, I didn't want to 'break' my kites by pumping them up too hard. Now my approach is to pump 'till I cannot or the pump starts weezing internally. It does not take too long of trying to relaunch a noodle to learn; you're about as likely to break your kite as relaunch this F'ing Noodle! (Broke two pumps already this season, but that's another rant...)

Dax: I agree. I - ME - am happy to trade the studly performance of the Y-11 for the drop outs. It pulls like a draft horse and stunts around like a F-16, but I would not give it to a newbie. ...and an 11M is a perfect all-around size for smaller person than myself - but no way I'd hand it to a woman unless it was one of the silicone implant types that picks up pennies with her .....teeth.

Steffeno: .....standing by for wind. With my 85kg., you're about spot on when this really kicks in. It handles gusts well too.

I'm waiting to try it with a very-rarely-needed-around-here North 9.3 to see if there's much diff in the upper ranges.

Jim

Jim

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:22 pm

i havent flown the 11m much as it seldom blows 25mph+ in the UK and the 13.5 rules from 18-30.

the 11m is definately a fast kite, but i've had it in the hands of learners and one of the female UK BKSA staff has a quiver of yargas and sh'es no pro rider and gets on really well with the kite.

with the different pigtail settings on the back of the kite its easy to rig it for more depower and tame the turning speed down to sensible levels for learners.

wetstuff, perhaps you need to fly the kite in a bit more wind on the beginner settings.

:wink:

Return to “Reviews”