To many to focussed on "newer kites"

Forum for kitesurfers
Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sake » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:56 pm

Sometimes I think we overdo it in saying that the new 2002-2003 kites are so much better.

Today during dutch championship one of the best kiters riding X2 and latest boards was beated by a unknown rider using his AB2001 and an "old" Brunotti 2-faced. The X2 rider could not go upwind as well as the AB2001 rider.

What the heck. We have to stop cheering about to much about the 2002/2003 stuff and just go out and have fun and improve on our kiting-skills.

Let me know what you guys think!

BTW A Wipika 2002 rider won.(other riders had a.o X2, Rhino2(2003) and Gaastra(2003)'s

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:17 pm

your dead right, people think by spending all of there hard earnt cash keeping up with the tech race it will make the a better rider. look at lou wainman still using wipi classics, just time on the water is needed, i'm flying 2002 lifts and have no intention of upgrading for a long time..... Don't forget there marketing tactics are very clever, don't get sucked in.

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:55 pm

Each new kite brings new innovations in terms of performance and safety. It's like paragliding. AS the sport evolved, wings had the characteristics of the high performance/expert equipment (faster turning, more glide, better wind range), but also got better in terms of safety (more stable, not so twitchy, more likely to correct itself versus needing pilot correction). The same is happening in kitesurfing. It's new and there are certainly many improvements that can be made regarding safety, durability, performance, etc.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:58 am

For most of us who aren't experts we should be more concerned with safety, stability, and relaunchability as opposed to lift and hangtime.

Let's face it... time on the water is what's gonna make you good... How can you get time on the water if you kite is too brutal to use.... It's real easy to get caught up in the hype.....

The new gear is great as long as it's rigid, stable and easier to relaunch... not to mention great saftey systems......

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:03 am

I must admit to getting a bit caught up in the hype of the X2 craze.....

I'm glad I did however as it's a really good kite.... But the only reason why it's great is because it's rigid, stable and has an excellent saftey system (a lot better than the old systems).....

The lift and response are great once you know what you're doing but not until you get to that stage!!!

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:30 am

ONE WORD,MARKETING CAMPAIGNS & HYPE!!
MOST OF US AREN'T PRO'S AND HAVE NO NEED FOR THIS NEW HIGH END EQUIPMENT. RIDE TO HAVE FUN, NOT TO LOOK GOOD WITH THE LATEST AND GREATEST.

PACMAN :smile:

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:31 am

I thought I'd got caught up in the hype, but was pleasantly suprised with the X2, it had all the characteristics I liked about my wipika Airblasts, just more powerful, and constant pull..and it's improving my riding, as when I try something, I know exactly how much lift I'm going to get, and when I'm going to land.. any gear than helps me improve my riding is a good thing in my opinion.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:00 am

Yap, ive the same opinion, im not a pro, only ride for fun, and try to make some jumps and tricks. But if ive a kite that have more upwind/hangtime/lift my jumps will be better, only have to get used to that "extra" power. It is evolution, if you have a kite that is more exigent to you, you will want to control it and thats how you start to ride better. :smile:

My opinion :smile:

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:22 am

I concurred with time on the water versus having newer kites to improve your skills. We all get caught up with the techno babble but that's what this forum is all about - sharing information. Higher jumps does not translate to victory, it's the technical skills that gets you there. Looks at the winners in this years contest, they are all technicians. You can have your x2, x10, x20, Rhino2, Rhino3, Rhino4, Toro9 , Aer6 and what have you, but ultimately the mass kiters, recreational type, will want a friendly-user, relaunchable, smooth with good low and high range, etc. If you're having fun that's all it really matters. Have fun, Jimbo(LA)

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:08 am

Well, just for the record. The guy on the 2001Ab, was certainly getting jumps as high as the X2 rider. Often even higher.

I am sorry, personnaly I thought, when I first held an X2 in my hands, that it was the most rigid sturdy kite I had ever seen. This kite would certainly never break as fast as the 2001 kites) Now that I have seen 3 leading edges torn apart by a small wave hitting the X2, I think it proves yet again that Naish sucks at stitching. And we all know that the X2 has a lot of seams...

Yesterdag an X2 14, burst at the middle strut. One month ago an X2 18, same thing, and 3 months ago I saw an X2 12 also exactly the same place.

So you can all go babbling about durability, and safety, fact is that X2 seems to me less durable than the AB2001 (except for delamination, but that is more of a visual thing), and safety is not dependend on kite, but on the bar and the rider.

Just my idea,
Dènis

Return to “Kitesurfing”