rolltide
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Surefire Spreader Bar

Postby rolltide » Sat May 08, 2004 8:18 am

Rider Simplicity.
Says it all about this safety system from Slingshot.
Well thought out design with ease of use and reliability.
I am using this system with the SS clip and ride C-Loop so the Surefire Spreader bar is actually a backup in case of equipment failure.

No more shackles and the like to confuse you in an emergency, you want to bail, simply push the button and you are separated from the kite while the kite leash deploys. There is a plastic tab which allows you to ride locked into the chicken look eliminating the need to use shackles which may or may not work.
Still in trouble? Pull the red plastic sleeve on the kite leash line and you are completely separated from your kite.

The leash freely spins in both directions and stays out of your way…
As long as you aren’t hunched over; you gotta straighten your back out or the leash might smack you in the face when you spin the bar, depending on the length of your arms.

The length of the leash is not adjustable, this a deliberate design to ensure the leash cannot interfere with the kite when unhooked and arms fully extended. If the leash was too short and you unhooked with your arms fully extended upward, there is a possibility of the kite going into a death loop from line tension of the leash line.

If you are looking for a safe, simple yet reliable emergency release/leash system you outta give this one a try.
It can be used on any kite with an outside line leash attachment and will enable you to multiple rotations without leash entanglement.
Having the leash wrap around my loop and body has hindered my progression and this system will allow me to take it to the next level knowing that if the sh*t goes down, I’ve got an eject button.

I’ve put close to 10 hours on the water with this system and have performed a few DIY tests to see how well the release works.
Hanging from a tree, pulled by a pickup truck, ejected while beach jumping, the release works every time.

One of the coolest things is the self land ability, hover kite about 10' off the ground with the leashed side skyward, grab and hold kite leash and press the release button.
The kite lands face down with the LE into the wind. I am 6 for 6 so far with this working and not resulting in a crash and burn.

Any problems with it I’ll let ya’ll know.

KB
Rare Poster

Postby KB » Wed May 19, 2004 6:20 pm

The leash is supposed to be attached just infront of the floaters (on SS kites) right? Do you think it will work on naish kites, where the attachment point is on the front leaderlines?

I think i'll have to get me one of those, looks great!

Postby Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 12:10 am

ive been trying to work out the surefire system.... will the leash work attached to a back line?? would it be compatible with a cabrinha powerlock bar or would ther be problems?
thanks
james

eagle
Rare Poster

Postby eagle » Fri May 21, 2004 3:42 am

The system can be used on any kite with a back line safety.

I was looking at a Naish bar the other day for someone interested in the Surefire release and noticed the leash attatched to the front lines.

You could modify this by adding a metal ring to the end of one outside leader, then run the kite line through the metal ring attatched to another metal ring.

On the Naish bar I looked at you would also have to add a piece of PVC foam to the leader in order to secure the leash bracket to the bar.

I still cannnot say enough good things about this system.
I've yet to find anything that I don't like about it.
Getcha one !

surf-turkey

Adapting to Airush.

Postby surf-turkey » Fri May 21, 2004 6:39 am

Can anyone tell me if I would be able to adapt this system to work on the Airush bars?? They work off a back line safety but I am not sure how I would attack the velcro deal to the system. Thanks for any input.

Postby Guest » Fri May 21, 2004 9:12 pm

eagle wrote: add a piece of PVC foam to the leader in order to secure the leash bracket to the bar.

Postby Guest » Sat May 22, 2004 3:07 pm

would it not work on a centerline sliding ring system?

Postby Guest » Sat May 22, 2004 3:30 pm

HI,
DONT SUPPOSE ANYONE FEELS LIKE DOING A SKETCH OF IT USED WITH A BACKILINE SYSTEM TO MAKE THE SETUP CLEARER??
PLEASE!
THANKS

S73V3
Rare Poster

Postby S73V3 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:38 pm

I use the Surefire on both my Naish and North Bars. Both of these bars use front line depower leashs.

I took off the side velco holder((peice used to attach the surfire leash to the side of the SS bar)) I did this by taking off the red ball-stop and then just sliding the holder off.

It has worked fine so far with NO problems. I dont twist my kite lines very often. But I have spun the bar's on the beach and Surefire leash does not get tangled. The Surefires leash rotates very smooth around the hook. It also helps that the leash has a stiff sleeve that is kinda hard. When you flip the bar over....the outside lines push the leash and flips it to the other side.

So far I have had to use my Surefire twice. It has worked great...very quick and easy. I love it! I wish it had been out sooner.

!ONE PROBLEM!
With my North bar the SureFire leash is too short. When I unhook my bar, and stretch my arms out....the SureFire leash starts to pull the depower line. This could easily be fixed by adding an extention......but I dont ride unhooked anyways, so I have not fixed this.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed May 18, 2005 4:10 pm

I have the spreader bar pro and I love it. Unbelievable system.

Return to “Reviews”