Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby prankster » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:38 am

Hi,

We have spent the last 3 days testing and comparing the following kites:

North Rhino2 14, Naish Aero2 16 and Naish X2 16, and these are our conclusions:

- Quality/construction: all these 3 kites have very, very good finish, good reinforcements, very good sewn and sealed seams, top quality valves, with a very light advantage for the Naish kites thanks to a (minimal) better attention to detail.

- Bag: better bag on the North with independent zipped pocket for bar and accessories.

- Bar: sorry, no North Scepter bar available yet.

- Stability overhead: The Aero 2 and the North Rhino2 will never drop from the sky (well, almost). These kites simply fly back to their right place after a lull. No matter if the kite is overhead or in an edge of the window, it just flies back until it gets powered. The X2 16 wants to so the same but not always succeeds. So "excellent" for the Rhino and Aero and "very good" for the X2 16

- Power: The Rhino 14 is more powerful than an Aero 16 which is slightly more powerful than a Naish X2 16. The Rhino is a powerhouse. Amazing. You would need almost an X2 18 to get the power of a Rhino 14. The Aero 16 has a little bit more end than the X2 16

- Lift: The Rhino 14 wins again. Jumps are high and sustained, even more than with the X2 16. The Aero takes you high but not so long as the X2. It is easier, though, to get good air from the Aero for most not very experienced riders, the X2 and the Rhino need an accurate timing.

- Steering: The Aero has the sweetest touch in the bar. It turns faster than the X2 16. The Rhino flies as fast as the X2 16 with and X2 bar but it needs a little more input in the bar, the feeling is not so sweet in the hands.

- Relaunch ability: the Aero is the clear winner. Despite this year's larger AR, the kite remains dead easy to relaunch. The procedure is less evident on the Rhino and even more difficult with the X2.

- Wind range: The X2 16 and the Rhino 14 have a similar wind range. The Aero 16 has a wide range too, much wider than last year but not as much as these other two. The Rhino can become a handful in strong winds if you do not have the technique and/or a good tiny board.

Overall, it is nice to see how the North guys have gone their own way. This kite has nothing to see with an X2, it has incredible performances, as good or slightly better than the X2, but it is a completely different kite. The North is all about power and lift, a kite with an incredible low end that remains usable in stronger winds if you have the board and the guts. The X2 offers a sweeter feeling and a better top end. The Aero 2 is close to an X2, easier and with not much worse performances than these other two kites....

We have been 4 people testing these kites for just 3 days. Rider's weighing from 65 to 94 kg. Boards used have been: Naish Mutant 4'8", North Robo and Wave's custom 140 x 37. Winds varying from 9 to 22 knots.

Opinions, further questions and bitter criticisms are welcome.

cheers,

Andoni

kGreg
Medium Poster

Postby kGreg » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:57 am

Hi,

you write that you have been using the Naish Mutant 4'8''. Can you tell me a few words about it? Directional qualities? Nose riding? The footstraps?

Regards,

kGreg

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:05 pm

Hi Andoni.

What were the preferences of the riders for the three kites with regard to their weight?

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:06 pm

Wind RAnge for the Rhino2 !?

For an intermediate rider.

prankster
Rare Poster

Postby prankster » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:32 pm

Mutant 4'8": way better than the, 4'11", really fast, wide footstraps, goes fine in twin tip mode. Great improvement compared to any 2002 Mutant.

Rhino 2 14: 10-20 knots for a 75 kg. rider.

Andoni

Xboy
Medium Poster

Postby Xboy » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:43 pm

Andoni........

Would you suggest the 16 or 18 for a 95kg rider in the wind range above?

Thanks in advance

prankster
Rare Poster

Postby prankster » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:44 pm

it is not a weight matter, it depends more on your riding style. The Rhino 2 is like driving a car with a 6000cm3 engine that provides power as soon as you step on the throttle. The X2 is a 3000cm3 engine that gives it's best in it's high end. The Rhino offers slightly better pure performnaces but the X2 offers a sweeter ride and a sweeter feeling in the hands.

i.e. one of the testers has told me to bring him two Rhinos:16 and 10. And one of the heavier rider's will stick to his X2 20 and 14.

prankster
Rare Poster

Postby prankster » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:47 pm

Xboy, 18 if you have the guts, the experience... and a small board! :smile:

Andoni

Xboy
Medium Poster

Postby Xboy » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:55 pm

I'm looking for new kit to replace my 2002 11.8 AB for the new season and duno whether to get 16 or 18...? I think I'm more worried about the wind range than anything else...

Xboy
Medium Poster

Postby Xboy » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:55 pm

I'm looking for new kit to replace my 2002 11.8 AB for the new season and duno whether to get 16 or 18...? I think I'm more worried about the wind range than anything else...

Return to “Kitesurfing”