Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foils vs inflatables

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:56 pm

Why are people still using deflatables?!! they suck!! They fall out of the sky and are dangerous to others. not opinion fact. how many people have died using foils? how bout deflatables? prove me wrong!!

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:03 pm

I don't know how many....I use foils on the water and land. But I also use the occasional Slingshot inflatable and have a few (and rep them) and my partner uses them extensively, as do our customers.

I think the numbers you see are skewed. Not many ride foils on the water. they are primarily used for land do to their ease of setup and crash-resistance characteristics, and they sink so beginners tend to learn on inflatos and stick with them. However, since most known injuries and incidences involve inflatables doesn't mean anything when you think of the huge disparity between the two groups. Probably 19 of 20 riders use inflatables as opposed to foils.

Sure, as the sport progresses, bridle-less foils may take over, but you have to look at the overall facts. More inflatables out there means more injuries relating to them.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:12 pm

Deflates fall out the sky creating lines to be slacked and then rap around people. dangerous!!! they also fall out of the sky and then power up right before hitting the ground dragging the kiter into whatever is downwind. ending in injury(or worse) to the kiter or innocent watchers.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:08 pm

Haven't seen an inflato do that for a while now. The new ones are much more stable (almost as good as an ARC)

But if you just want to troll more power to you hope it makes you happy

Stu

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:12 pm

The high AR inflatables are more dangerous in some regards.... my C Quads have safer flying characteristics as they don't luff as much and when they do it's a safer style of luff....

But the only reason an inflatable is dangerous when it luffs is when the kiter doesn't activate the safety leash. This is very important especially with the bigger kites.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:23 am

There are 0 foils competing on the PKRA tour. There were 0 foils on the beach in Cabarette. There were 0 foils on the beach in Maui....? Again personal preference but I just hope to get guys on foils in my heats. Still havn't seen anyone on a foil get as high as those guys on LEIs at the red bull but hey I respect your point of view. Stick with your foils and I hope to see you at the next contest.
Aloha Royce.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:33 am

royce you post this they bite you slam um Im proud of you

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:27 am

Sorry about my ignorance guys but whats a deflatable?
Royce you just wait till Dwight gets the hang of his psycho man, he'll be jumpin all over yer lei.
Have fun.
Jo

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:22 am

Foils are for old women and losers...period!
No competitor would be caught dead flying one in an international comp.Even F1 have virtually ditched their foil program for inflatables..How many people ride (bought) the Slider..Most F1 riders use the Mach 1...

MB

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:37 am

"Foils are for old women and losers..."

'Gonna transfer´this to the lady's aid forum...
:wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”