lousy landings

Forum for kitesurfers
Mabu
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mabu » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:06 am

Hi, Jumping when hooked in, I often land on the side, my front side. I think it's because I bring the kite down again too soon and too slow. Not sure though. Any tips?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:33 am

don't take the kite to far behind you when jumping.
if you're jumping with a 16m kite, kick it back as hard as you can, in the moment the kite passes the neutral position, edge as hard as you can and jump. instantly pull the forward hand hard and get the kite over you. your jump will get floatier.

if you got a smaller kite, pull it back to 1 o'clock (or eleven) pull the bar towards you and shortly before the upward pull is over, steer it right over you (with a little tendency to the direction you are flying) and float it out.

take the kite back down just before you land.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:27 pm

One more question about jumps: I have just started out some jumping and I am of course going through all newbie problems.

So far, I do jump in two "modes":
-I jump (kite to one/eleven'o clock, edging hard, try to catch the moment to pop-up), I fly, and I land realy smothly and continue riding. Cool.

-I jump, do something wrong (usualy I misjudge the timing to release the edge or try to do tricks (like backgrabs or so)), I crash, and ALWAYS kite falls out of the sky (it overflies me in the zenith).

The secnarios play at around 50:50%. I do not know, what am I doing wrong in the second case, but I drop the kite.

How to keep the kite in the air (avoid overflying) when jumping/crashing?

Damjan

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:43 pm

On 2002-10-07 16:27, Anonymous wrote:
One more question about jumps: I have just started out some jumping and I am of course going through all newbie problems.

So far, I do jump in two "modes":
-I jump (kite to one/eleven'o clock, edging hard, try to catch the moment to pop-up), I fly, and I land realy smothly and continue riding. Cool.

-I jump, do something wrong (usualy I misjudge the timing to release the edge or try to do tricks (like backgrabs or so)), I crash, and ALWAYS kite falls out of the sky (it overflies me in the zenith).

The secnarios play at around 50:50%. I do not know, what am I doing wrong in the second case, but I drop the kite.

How to keep the kite in the air (avoid overflying) when jumping/crashing?

Damjan
A kite usually falls when you swing under the kite during a jump. Watch your ground speed. This tells you when you are starting to swing under the kite. When you are drifting downwind during the jump you are fine, but when you slow down, you are starting to swing under the kite. This is when you must use front hand pressure on the bar to keep the kite from falling. It resumes your ground speed and gets you out from under the kite.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:46 pm

On 2002-10-07 12:06, Mabu wrote:
Hi, Jumping when hooked in, I often land on the side, my front side. I think it's because I bring the kite down again too soon and too slow. Not sure though. Any tips?
Too soon and too fast. See my other post.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:14 pm

Dwight,

> This is when you must use front hand
> pressure on the bar to keep the kite from
> falling. It resumes your ground speed and
> gets you out from under the kite.

can you please explaing what do you mean by "hand preasure on the bar".

When, how, why?

Thanks. I appreciate it!

Damjan

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:03 pm

can you please explaing what do you mean by "hand preasure on the bar".

When, how, why?

Thanks. I appreciate it!

Damjan
To stop yourself from swinging under the kite, you must start bringing the kite forward near the end of the jump. One way in doing this without thinking about it, is to let go of the bar with your back hand. This will cause you to self-consciously apply downward pressure on the front hand as you try to maintain balance while airborne. This is especially effective while spinning. With a simple plain jump, just watching your ground speed diminish will tell you when to steer the kite forward to resume forward speed.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:35 pm

Let me add that almost all beginners crash after jumping because they haven't brought the kite forward again.

I start bringing the kite forward as soon as I leave the water. I pull gently on the bar with my forward hand. I can feel when the kite is overhead. Then I try to pull it a bit more forward just before I land.

Dwight's tip about one handed jumping works because you do nothing with your back hand anyway. But if you are scared to try this, just be sure to think about pulling with your forward hand and not with the back hand.

It is very rare that I land with too much forward speed. (Be sure to point your board in the direction that you land.)

Chris G

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:31 pm

Another thing to remember is not to have your kite too low when you go for a jump... that's when your landing speed can get a bit fast.

BLOWN AWAY :wink:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:41 pm

a good help to improve your landings is to watch the kite while jumping.
Then you can tell exactly, where it is and you will notice, that it is at the beginning mostly too far back and you didn't steer it back to the front. So train the back and forward steering while jumping by watching your kite.

Then you don't want to stop jumping: Image

Good luck!

Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”