Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Footstraps?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:03 pm

What type of footstraps do people prefer and why? What are the main differences in feel and control between the soft types with velcro adjusters and the hard more plasticy ones like Da Kine do? Got the some soft wide litewave design ones on my wave tray and they feel abit loose - is it something you just get used to and deal with. A mate has a drake which has really wide straps with contoured pads - very nice.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:44 pm

most of the guys i know use the slingshot plates on wakestyle boards.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:15 pm

Yes the Slingshot ones are very popular around here too. Here is a picture:
Chris G
Vancouver

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cglazier on 2002-10-08 16:16 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:31 pm

F-one are great too, litle stiffer so keep the shape, lots of holes to adjust, and come with the pads self adhesive.
60$ for pads and straps

also as there are no plates it is that much weight off, plates are heavy and not necessary for footstaps.

Hope this help

Fabjet

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:02 pm

I'm guilty of using the SlingShot ones with the wide strap and contoured pad as well. Used to use some Naish contoured straps, but haven't looked back since changing. I'm very comfortable in the Slingshot setup and find it easy to get into and out of while still being able to NOT lose the board or come out of them by mistake.

Johnny

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:05 pm

On 2002-10-08 15:03, Anonymous wrote:
What type of footstraps do people prefer and why? What are the main differences in feel and control between the soft types with velcro adjusters and the hard more plasticy ones like Da Kine do? Got the some soft wide litewave design ones on my wave tray and they feel abit loose - is it something you just get used to and deal with. A mate has a drake which has really wide straps with contoured pads - very nice.
I’ve tried the Slingshot, NSI, Litewave new wide, and Dakine Contour. I went through hell trying to find a strap that would eliminate the loose disconnected feel of straps (I rode bindings of 2 years). The NSI is the most comfortable because it is super soft and flexible. I was able to lock my foot in with those, but the board still felt wobbly and disconnected. The Slingshot is firmer, but didn’t lock my foot good enough. The Litewave has a slippery covering that makes the foot fall out. The Dakine Contour felt the most stable. The Dakine strap is made to be installed one way. I tried it the correct way and backwards, with mounting twisted. I found it locked my foot better installed backwards. Either way, it’s still the most rigid board to foot connection and certainly gives the most precise control. I don’t have to curl my toes either. The Contour strap is heavy, it’s only weakness.

My garage looks like a binding, strap, footbed, and pump junkyard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-08 18:08 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback - can you just rip of the soft deck pad the wavetray comes with as standard and then screw on the slingshot types or stick the f-ones on?

Dwight what do you mean by reversing the contour strap and the straps are oval shaped with the D of the Dakine print starting at the fat end. Do you set up the fat end towards the nose with both the narrow ends meeting in the middle?? - a photo of your set up would make it clear.

thanks

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:14 pm

You can put the Slingshot bindings on the wavetray. The holes right behind the footstraps match the inserts on the WT. You'll even get a slight duckstance which is fine IMO. I put the bindings on top of the existing pads. I am considering removing them but I'll need shorter screws for that.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:15 pm

FYI: Post above is regarding the plate bindings!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:27 pm

My favorite so far is the da-kine wide straps (I haven't tried em backwards yet!) with slingshot pads. The dakine pads with the little toe grabber bar held my feet in well but didn't enough arch support , not crtitical, nor enough padding under the heel, critical, as I was starting to bruise my heels from hard landing. The slingshot pads are frim but well padded and have a good arch support.

If you can just use the pads and skip the plates..the plates add alot of extra weight. On last years dinnnertrays he epoxied the pads in place so it was pain to get them off cleanly. Hopefully he has switched to conatct cement which comes off clean with solvent. I ordered my WT with out pads so I could put better ones on.

-Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”