Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

REEL Leash experiences?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:48 pm

What do you think of the REEL leash. Does it work properly or do they break just as easily as the ordinary leashes.
When my board is under water while I get yanked by the kite the leash gets really tensioned. The board does not slingshot back at me at all BTW.

Please share your experiences!

Thanx

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:15 pm

i think no leash is better than reel leash.

i know 50% guys tried the reel leash and were satisfied and 50% where it broke pretty fast, they had it replaced and the next one broke, too. . .

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:50 pm

You must have a very flexible and strong bungee between reelleash and board. I use a spiral-cord normal leash, and I love the system. Nothing is more user-friendly, and with prober elasticity built in, it'll be strong too.
Mads

Air Vermont
Rare Poster

Postby Air Vermont » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:58 pm

Excellent product. I have about 75 sessions on this with no issues at all. When you are really pushing the limits, you are likeley to come off the board. It is great to have it come tolling back to you. Many recommend no leash. I agree that body dragging back upwind is pretty easy, but it sucks when the water is brutal cold. It just makes kiting easier. I agree about the strong bungee in the previous post.

Gary

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:06 pm

The most important thing to keep any leech from brecking is where you attach it to the board the end or a corner best, middle worst, of corse we know that.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:22 pm

I have been using my reel leash for the last two years. It is a great product. I have tried going leashless and I have no trouble body dragging back to my board, but why bother. It takes time and energy.

I can remember several times when I definitely would have lost my board (in either too high or too low wind conditions) if I didn't have a reel leash.

Chris G

bigair from Michigan
Rare Poster

Postby bigair from Michigan » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:23 pm

It is my understanding that a potentially weak piece on the NSI Reel Lease has been replaced with a stainless steel part. This seems like the only option to have a 10' leash w/o having your leash dancing like a bull whip (unless you are into that). I have one on the way.

Brad

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:34 pm

What is the issue hear? is it saftey,
pro no leash no impact with board
con no leach + down kite no board to kite with
Pro leash + downed kite no problem
con leach + twisty fall and inadvertant re launch=trip to hospital,
this is a tuff subject i use a reel leash, good most of time, have fallen and had the board shoot through the bar and the kite relanch it was ugly, like I say tuff subject.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2002-10-09 17:36 ]</font>

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:06 pm

On 2002-10-09 15:15, murdoc wrote:
i think no leash is better than reel leash.

i know 50% guys tried the reel leash and were satisfied and 50% where it broke pretty fast, they had it replaced and the next one broke, too. . .

This seems about accurate to my findings as well. But I also think that the 50% that broke them also broke the new one they replaced it with, and I feel that this is for a reason. Those 50% broke them and keep breaking them because they dont make use of the little piece of bungee that is supplied with it. As mentioned, if you use one, it is critical to have a bungee at the board connection point.

Johnny

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:18 pm

I swear by mine, Oceanus Technologies, no problem at all and saved a few injuries I am sure. I have the irginal bungee style leash still attached at the board end.

Cheers,
Mike.

Return to “Kitesurfing”