Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

helmets and impact vests are one thing, but what about groin

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:38 am

Now I know this sounds way kookie, but there i was sailing along slightly overpowered but okay, until i gusted and carried on a down wind charge closing in rapidly on the beach, just before i ran outta wet stuff i kicked off the board only to realize that the boardleash was between my legs. anyway, the board submarined and dug in to the bottom, whipping the leash hard right where is shouldn't. and powering up the kite. using my balls as a brake going from 30 to 0 in no seconds at all.

needless to say that was the end of my kit session for the day.

so there i was lying on the beach clutching my family jewels in absolute agony, with my kite still flying.

So here's the dilema;;;;;;;-------
1). your overpowered on a stoney, sharp edged beach, If you just drop the kite, you know your going to puncture a bladder at least.

2). You look around and all your mates are on the water so no one around to catch your kite.

3).Your doubled in two on the beach in pain,
WHAT DO YOU DO???????

naufragado
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby naufragado » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:23 am

Dude, you're killing me. Sorry but I'm laughing my um er balls off...Well anyway, I took a hit in a serious black-out kind of way on the tip of my board the other day. All I can say is: drop the kite, drop the kite, drop the kite. A ripped panel with a bladder puncture takes about six hours to sew and tape back together. Mr. and Mrs. precious takes a hell of alot longer to heal. Good luck my friend.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:59 am

Board leashes are dodgy in overpowered conditions. Learn to body drag upwind instead.... easy in real powered stuff.

If in doubt ditch the kite....

BLOWN AWAY :evil: :cool:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:05 am

well ... there are certain overpowered conditions where you need balls - in your story, it was no advantage to have em :wink:
(sorry ... it's too funny) ...

i know what you mean.
i'd say: get back into the water and drop the kite there, using the safety leash.
worst thing that might happen is that your lines get tangeled, but your kite will survive.

i know how this feels - i once laid on my back with a broken arm and a fully overpowered kite overhead without a kiteleash (my snowkiting experience) ...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:39 pm

Great story and with a good ending ...well sort of anyway. When you are near hard objects, it is best to react to protect yourself first and the kite second. It can be a contrary reaction to normal instincts but it helps to anticipate scenarios and rehearse your reaction to speed things up. The thing is that there is often a short lull or reaction time before things really load up and potentially do harm. It is best to use those seconds to depower the kite or otherwise react to protect your most valuable possession, yourself! The KSI is full of cases where late reaction resulted in more serious injury.

I too would strongly encourage you to ditch your board leash. A board leash can scramble more than the "family jewels!" Body dragging upwind is often easy and all kiteboarders should work to develop this technique even before learning to water start on a board.

Glad that you are ok,
Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:03 pm

Board leashes threatening sensitive body parts is pretty frequent, in my case anyway, which is why I reckon the best buy I made yet for safety purposes was one of those spring loaded leashes with about 15 feet of retractable line in the reel. I use it permanently attached to the back of my harness. Mine is from Oceanus Technologies Inc.

Cheers,
Mike
(Lone kitesurfer in Brunei, NW.Borneo)

Xboy
Medium Poster

Postby Xboy » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:27 pm

lol This post brought back painful memories.

"One time at Band camp...." I was out flying my AB 11.8 and came in after a session. My friend bought the kite down and I dropped my bar ,at this Stage still locked in with the PU tube. Bare in mind I had Shorty on with board shorts and was wearing WIPI Seated Harness, well you know what them harnesses do to the Nades don't you peeps :smile: "it tends to over exaggerate things a little, I hear people laughing already" that's why I was wearing the shorts...back to my incident so with bar dropped I proceed to flick the PU tube from the harness with my finger boy O boy did I make a mistake. In one swift movement I flick out the tube and in a instant I feel this pain rush to my head :grin:

SURGEON GENERALS WARNING : On any kite equipment utilizing a PU (lock in) tube clear all appendages away from path of exiting tube. Symptoms include: Nausea, Lose of movement in lower extremities, Humiliation, and Bruised ego amongst of things.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”