Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Deflated strut?

Forum for kitesurfers
genome1698
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby genome1698 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:52 am

Could anyone please confirm the result of a deflated strut while in flight-i was out yesterday with a freeair and thought the kite was looking "not quite right" is was pulling really strong off the the right so strong i thought f*** this brought the kite down and realized that one strut on the right hand side of the kite was totally flat-is this behaviour you would expect from the kite-or is it just me!!

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:07 am

that's you mate, cuz it ain't really important at the end, but to relaunch !!

my central tube on AB is ALWAYS deflated, so it won't damage my leading blader

cheers

Greg

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:50 am

Kites will fly unpredictbly with deflated struts, different kites will behave differently.
If the end strut goes down you'll have a harder time turning in one direction...

They're there for a reason, they need to be inflated, the previous post is pretty misleading...

Callum

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:55 am

yeh, it differs from kite to kite.
when schooling, somtimes a strut will deflate and you'll recognize that quickly because your trainees will have extreme problems keepint the kite in the air ...
i suppose that the lower the AR is, the more important it gets do inflate the struts.
may also be important how the profile looks ...

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:28 pm

my mail is maybe mislading but I think I've quite some times on da water and my game budies know their kites pretty well I guess since then they are at the very center of their developpment..
from the center the first 3 battens one are not needed to be inflated.. just try and you will see.. the center batten is even a problem on AB, if you over inflate it, it will help you leading edge to blow !!
then for the tips one, you are correct, it's better to have them correctly inflated for control reason

greg
greg@christophertasti.com

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:48 pm

there is truth to the center batten causeing kite damage in high speed crash, solution i like is take the velro off the nipple (he said nipple)this way it pops open and not your canopy, unrelated jewel, my 11.8 strut leaked at the rear end, i clusterfuck the patch and had no choice but too shorten it about six inches, i though i was screwed but then i put a ballon in the pocket and blew it up, it works so well, just thought you'd like to know.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:04 pm

The end strut deflated will cause you to have a harder time sttering and create more drag on the deflated side.

bigair from Michigan
Rare Poster

Postby bigair from Michigan » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:17 pm

from the center the first 3 battens one are not needed to be inflated.. just try and you will see.. the center batten is even a problem on AB, if you over inflate it, it will help you leading edge to blow !!
Dude, you may have some time on "da water" and your "game buddies" may know there kites, but all of you struts keep the leading edge, and the kites draft, in position. Tight battens will not "blow your leading edge" on any kites made in the last two years IMHO.

Brad

Return to “Kitesurfing”