Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

OT - IS THAT A SHARK?

Lots of valuable articles from Rick Iossi, FKA Inc.
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

OT - IS THAT A SHARK?

Postby RickI » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:03 am

No. It's a manatee!

No wind in SE Florida right now, that's for sure. So why not hit the reef and take some pictures, viz. is pretty good.

Baby Trigger Fish on the way out.

The guys are hanging out on the reef.

Make sure you don't step on one of these rays while walking on the flats.

There's a current running, so I swim a mile or so down current along the reef and start to walk waaaay back up the beach. Wait, there's something big and brown slopping around in the shallows. Whatisit? Tourist guy asks, "IS THAT A SHARK?" No, it's a few manatee.

I was lucky to come across these guys with fairly clear nearshore water with a digital camera. The last time I saw a pod of four manatee swimming along in clear water in the ocean, I think I was about 18.

I was careful to aviod disturbing or spooking them. By nature, they are pretty low key and docile. More importantly, disturbing manatees is against the law. More about this at:

http://www.floridaconservation.org/psm/ ... /guide.htm

If I recall correctly, they used to naturally occur in Florida but vanished at some point, perhaps during a period of glaciation. You can find their bones in caves in Central Florida Springs. They were reintroduced to Florida to try to control exotic water vegetation earlier in the last century. Today of course, they are easy prey to powerboats as some of the back scars demonstrate on these individuals.

Seeya Guys! Thanks for swimming by! The wind waiting continues ... the safe useable kind, NOT what Hurricane Francis might
bring in about a week. Good luck guys.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:58 pm

ccc

Return to “FKA, RickI”