HELP...safety leash how does it work

Forum for kitesurfers
headhunter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby headhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:58 am

Could any explain how should I set the safety leash, so when I pull the quick release it will depower completely. Any help and link appreciated. Many thanks :wink:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:21 am

Hi Guy,
Depends what kite you're using, for example, Slingshot use a leash on the brake (side) line, Naish use a leash on one of the front lines. The most important tnink is that when you let go of the bar/unhook/release a shackle, the bar is free to travel one full kite length down the leashed line, about 7-8 meteres, so it can flap out flat completely depowered. If it can't do this you'll have a semi depowered kite that'll do the death spiral.
best place to attach the leash is your spreader bar.
if in doubt ask anything here on the forum or/and get a local in the know to check it.
Remember that the leash won't work if you're shackled/hooked in.
Best safetly system imo is a good working leash and hold the bar in yer hands until you're out on, or near the water, if the shit hits the fan, let go.
Stay safe and have fun.
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-18 10:22 ]</font>

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:33 am

headhunter,
look into kitesurfing-kiel.de for some good info.

check your system before using it.
lay the lines out flat, fix the leash somewhere (your board) and walk away with the bar.
the leash has to work without big forces necessary.
when in 'full depowered' (you can't walk any further) lay the lines out flat again and check the difference of the line-length at the ends.

if you use a leash like the old naish, the wipika or takoon, where the leash is knodded into the leader line a few meters away from you, you need at least half the kite's width.

if using a sliding leash (i.e. north, airush, new naish), you need the full width of the kite if there's any stopper in the lines.
keep that in mind when using another bar (the wipika airblast 6.3 bar for an airblast 11.8 for example)

headhunter
Rare Poster

Postby headhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:33 am

thanks guys I have pictures that I made to explain what I mean but don't know how to upload it. any clues :wink:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:57 am

They have to be on the web, scanned and uploaded to the yahoo pics or other site for example, see the FAQ section on how to link and use the url so the pic can be displayed.
jo

headhunter
Rare Poster

Postby headhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:12 am

thanks here are some pictures

ImageImage

headhunter
Rare Poster

Postby headhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:16 am

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:26 am

Ok, I had to paste the url to see the pics.
From the drawings looks like a standards naish type frontline settup.
Did you test it?
What's the problem?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-18 12:30 ]</font>

headhunter
Rare Poster

Postby headhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:48 am

Thanks Jo,

No I haven't tested, I will do it tommorow. It is safer than do it without knowledge. However with my common sense if I release the the shuckle hook then the lower ring (see picture) will travel upwards and will get stuck with the upper ring. How can this thing depower the kite.

Many thanks again Jo :wink:

radman
Rare Poster

Postby radman » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:52 pm

Headhunter - you are thinking about it the wrong way.
During flight the two rings will be up against each other. When you let go of your bar, the shackle will remain attached to you & the rest of the bar will travel up the left hand front line allowing the kite to go flat & depower.

I have a reasonable neat solution if you want to check out another setup. Mail me at huw.williams@nordiko.com & I will send you the pics in PDF.

Return to “Kitesurfing”