Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Martin M1 Review

Postby KiteKarl » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:55 am

So now that I've had a couple of weeks on Martins M1 bindings I feel I can give an honest review. Just to let you know, I won these things so I would first like to thank Stewart and Blowboarder for hookin me up. When they were shipped to me I was informed that these were the prototype bindings and had the first shipment of non-saltwater reels so I would have to rinse them thoroughly after use when at the coast. Blowboarder assured me that when they wore they could be replaced with the saltwater reels that all of the production models would be equipped with. I installed them along with some Best heelstraps. There's a pic of my complete setup in my album for all of those interested. First impression was that they looked durable and when I torqued them down they felt very comfortable. I didn't notice a significant difference in weight between my slingy straps and the Martins. The thing that I really love about them is that you can loosen or tighten them while you ride. I still stuff about half my jumps and pop out of my board but now feel much more secure popping from heelside to toeside and boosting off chop. They loosen up quickly when the knob is pulled out for easy release but I just leave them set, pull one heelstrap down and pull my foot out and use the free foot to pull the other heelstrap down and kick the board off when dismounting. I like being able to go barefoot or use booties depending on my mood too. A friend tried them and noticed that they seemed to have more curvature to them than standard bindings which probably accounted for how comfortable they felt when set tightly. Overall good product and must say that if I hadn't won them I'd gladly shell out the $70 for a pair. :thumb:

Stewart
Frequent Poster

Review

Postby Stewart » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:55 am

KiteKarl, thanks for posting a review. Glad you like them. Thought I'd point out something about the reels. Just received a memo from BOA to all their OEM users (Martin Tech, et al). BOA suggests spraying a little WD-40 into the two holes on top of reel assembly after washing out with water. This is said to keep reel nicely lubricated and working smoothly. This was intended for snowboard industry users but I figure it can only help the kiting users. I haven't tried it yet (cause I haven't needed to) but a friend said it turned a once sticky reel to "like-new" status.

To sum up: BOA reels, like the ladies, like it well lubricated.

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Review

Postby KiteKarl » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:44 am

Stewart wrote:KiteKarl, thanks for posting a review. Glad you like them. Thought I'd point out something about the reels. Just received a memo from BOA to all their OEM users (Martin Tech, et al). BOA suggests spraying a little WD-40 into the two holes on top of reel assembly after washing out with water. This is said to keep reel nicely lubricated and working smoothly. This was intended for snowboard industry users but I figure it can only help the kiting users. I haven't tried it yet (cause I haven't needed to) but a friend said it turned a once sticky reel to "like-new" status.

To sum up: BOA reels, like the ladies, like it well lubricated.
This leads us back to "The only thing that feels better has hair" thing. Thanks Stew! :thumb:

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:31 pm

Finally gott mine!

This may create a problem around the gott world
as my son, who wears size 2-1/2
can get the M-1's to adjust to his feet!

Now, I'm a 12 wide and they fit me no problem
actually they would go bigger

This is great,
except he wants my new Jonah Lepak
that has em on it
:o

Really comfy for both of us
which I'm not sure exactly how you do that

Also, I was somewhat concerned as they look to be directional
and on a jibing board that would suck
NOT THE CASE
they work great either way

Really simple to install and use
nothing complicated about them
for the user that is
all the magic stuff is hidden inside

lucky me I won them
thanks Stewart
BTW
My first ad is the truth
When are you c oming out
with fur covered models!? :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
and 1/2 a chubby :wink:
you cant afford not to get them

I will update as required for durability
and other stuff

Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Stewart » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:01 pm

gottmoore wrote: BTW
My first ad is the truth
When are you c oming out
with fur covered models!? :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
and 1/2 a chubby :wink:
you cant afford not to get them
Gottmoore, thanks for adding your comments to the review. The more the better.

As for your fur-lined dream pair, we are currently investigating the legality and available world-wide supply of whispy short hairs delicately harvested from the female nether-region. Keep ya posted. :lol:

Return to “Reviews”