Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Dax
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

7m Yarga

Postby Dax » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:58 am

If I were to pick one word to describe this kite it would be: SOLID.

Its so stiff when you pump it up its hard to weigh it down, the struts keep wanting to pop up... almost like its telling you it wants to go!

In the air the advantages of the extra stiffness is apparent as it flies straight and true even in gusty crap wind. I've flown it in the Gorge a few times and the wind there can be quite gusty, this kite makes you forget about the gusts as it stays so solid in the air and depowers so well.

It’s also very fast but not too fast. My previous small kite was a Airush ATV 6.5m. That kite was a lot of fun but it was too damn zippy, felt like flying a trainer kite. The 7m Yarga has a sort of big kite feel even though its quite small. The kite turns at normal speeds unless you apply lots of bar pressure and then it will turn like a 7m, which is great because sometimes you need it to go fast, but most of the time you want a kite that's easy to control.

Explosive lift is to be expected of a kite this small, and this kite definitely delivers, what's surprising though is the hang time. I had trouble timing a lot of my jumps at first because I expected the kite to drop me out of the sky quickly as other small kites usually do, but this one just hung me up there and drifted me down like a much bigger kite.

Because of its ability to go very fast, it has a very impressive wind range. I have been able to go upwind on it when others were on 12-13m kites.

The only negatives I can think of is that the bar pressure can feel quite heavy when you aren’t well powered. After 25 knots bar pressure is quite nice. I think the bar pressure helps though in keeping you from over flying the kite.

I tried it once in the waves and was happy to find it was so easy to fly I could concentrate on the waves and not what the kite was doing. Again the extra bar pressure nice in that it helped me keep track of what the kite was doing in the air without looking.

I like the kite so much I am going to get a Yarga 9m for my next size up. I have been flying the 10m Nemesis which I think is great for upwind and boosting, but requires too much speed to get its power, which can be trouble when in a lot of chop. The Yarga series seem to be a bit more versatile in the smaller sizes especially for wake-style tricks and heavy chop/wave riding because it can develop smooth solid power at lower speeds. Don’t get me wrong though, these kites can still go as fast as you want to.

Simply great kite performance wise, and the price is a sweet bonus. Thanks BEST! :thumb:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:40 pm

man you ass kisser.... etc etc etc etc.

you'll be pleased with the 9m dax, i've been out on it a lot recently, i know what you mean by big kite feel, the 9m feels more steady and solid than it should for a kite that small, upwind and hangtime totally in keeping with the rest of the range.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:15 pm

Any other best pimps want to chime in?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:04 pm

thats one pimp and one guy who rides other brands and paid full whack for his kites, hardly a pimp.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:35 am

I think that the 8m Nemesis is a dream. Hyper stable. Has anyone tried both (8m Nem & 7m Yarga)?
Thanks!

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:01 am

Wawando wrote:I think that the 8m Nemesis is a dream. Hyper stable. Has anyone tried both (8m Nem & 7m Yarga)?
Thanks!
I haven't tried the 8m Nemesis but I am guessing its a great kite from the way the 10m flies. I just am looking for something different right now as I am starting to get more into tricks that require a kite that lets you load up against it. The Nemi's do such a good job at sitting at the edge of the window that when you want to do tricks its hard to get them to move back without going downwind real fast.

For boosting, upwind, and wind range I think the Nemi has the upper hand though.

windshredder - I pay for my kites. That's why I like Best, because with them I get to pay less and still get quality. :D

I'll keep shouting the truth until everyone knows it... :bye:

offshore?
Frequent Poster

Postby offshore? » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:31 pm

trying to sort out what size high wind kite to get to go with a 15 and 11m 2003 slingshot fuel, either the 7 or 9m Yarga (have to talk to Simon about prices soon), would like a kite to overlap a bit with the 11m but add more top range,
about 80kg weight, riding a 120,43.
Thanks guys

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:46 pm

seth, gimme a bell, i'm out of 7's to try, my nine comes back from wales this weekend.

replacememnts in soon.

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:31 am

Hey Dax,

I have the 12 m Nemi. Would the 7 yarga be too much jump down?

I want to take the 12m up to 24 knots, then I would like a kite I can actually enjoy until 35 knots.

Do you figure I could get that range. I weigh 170 lb.

The wind is usually gusty when it gets that windy so I thought the yarga would be better than the 8m Nemi.

PS know anyone selling a 7m yarga ?

Cheers :bye:

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:38 pm

Mattdog wrote:Hey Dax,

I have the 12 m Nemi. Would the 7 yarga be too much jump down?

I want to take the 12m up to 24 knots, then I would like a kite I can actually enjoy until 35 knots.

Do you figure I could get that range. I weigh 170 lb.

The wind is usually gusty when it gets that windy so I thought the yarga would be better than the 8m Nemi.

PS know anyone selling a 7m yarga ?

Cheers :bye:
Hi,
I don't know about the Yargas (only riden the 13,5). On Nemesis, 12m to 8m for a 83kg rider with a 125x38 board it is too much. Really too much. The 10m is the kite i prefer to ride from 22-30 knots for wave riding.
In 30-35 knots Nem 8m with 20m lines.

A fellow rider with 70kg & similar board (a copy of mine ;-) ) finds the 8m Nemesis and a 11m WindTech the perfect pair.

So it is very related with your weight...

I am posting this because, from the "tables", i thought the 12m+8m would be the perfect combination. But it isn't...

I am perfect with 12m+10m+8m for the wind you want to ride...

I hope this helps!

Return to “Reviews”