Wipika throttle bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Petro9
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Petro9 » Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:10 am

Bought a Wipika throttle bar about 3 months, ago. Unfortunately for the past month I can no longer depower the center lines with the depower strap as the line does not get caught by the cam. Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:12 am

Yep - I've heard about this problem - the cleat teeth gets worn by the sand.
But we have never seen it here, because we avoid sand in the cleat - or, if we start on a sandy beach - we rinse the cleat in the water, just after start - before going out.
The sand will wear your cleat down !
But - don't despare - just buy a new cleat, and replace it. It's not that expensive really, and you can buy it in most bigger boat shops - its a standard racing cleat.
And when replaced - just keep the sand away - and it'll last forever...
There are 2 models - the new one which is dark will not get worn as fast as the silver one.
But if you just pay a little attention - the silver ones will last without problems.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:22 am

I finally decided to change to the Naish trim strap after replacing several cleats on my wipika throttle and apex bars. I kite about 20 hours per week (in our season) and was finding these cleats just couldn't hold up....even the newer dark cleat. I did try and keep the cleats as sand free as possible but when you rig, launch and land on a sandy beach......The Naish strap only cost $15 Australian and does a great job. I just fixed it with a bow-line. It doesn't have the same amount of depower range as the old cleat system but I'm happy to trade off for less hassles/repairs. Cheers. Brad.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:36 am

The problem is not the cleat, is the rope. To hard, not a good grip rope.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:46 am

I agree Hernan. Wipika should change the line they use. Slingshot used the same cleat,(different, softer line) but I haven't witnessed the same problems with friends fuels as what I experienced with my Wipika gear. Cheers, Brad.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:17 pm

If you use a softer rope, it will usually wear down very fast around the depower hole !
I change the depower rope quite often - or turns it around so the wear will be at another point (end) of the rope.

Have tried several hard and soft ropes - and the one I've found now (6mm Wega Dyneema from ROBLON - 1600kg) is quite okay.
Does not wear that fast again (but still much faster than the original), and no wear in the cleat (but we don't have problems with the original rope either...)

The most expensive, but soft and very fine wowen - "Admiral Racing Dyneema" wears way too fast - no good.

So if a really hard rope wears the cleat - it must be a compromise between depower cleat/hole wear and cleat wear....

Using the throttle bar - with the big hole in the depower bracket - one can use softer line without that much wear.
It is worse on any bar with a hole !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter_Frank on 2002-10-21 19:19 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:58 am

the Cleat is useless because it will fail eventually soon. Set it for full depower, tie it off, then add a harness loop to the bar. Use the loop for full power. If overpowered, unhook form the loop and sheet out. If you're too week to hold 2-3 inches of adjustment, then go to the gym and work out a bit.

dix

tripman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: North Sea, Channel, Brittany
Style: Surfkiting + HF + wing
Gear: Noremana 5'2 95L
Gong Hipe pro 5'1
BRM W2 4m, 5.5m
Foil Allure 1300 + 1000
KETOS 1200 + stab Karver S
Pocket KETOS 107
Board Riding Maui Cloud E 2.8, E 3.7, E 4.8, E 6.2, D 8, D 10.4
Stallion V1 TDZ 5'2''

Postby tripman » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:48 pm

Forget that cleat, Wichard makes an accesory that suits perfectly for the purpose (easier using and doesn't wear the rope). Wait a bit, i'll post you the references within 1 or 2 days.

Return to “Kitesurfing”