All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
On 2002-10-19 18:42, Anonymous wrote:
For anyone recommending not wearing a board leash remember that if sailing at sea and you end up a long way out or sailing in offshore waters the ability to loose your board definitely reduces the seaworthyness of your vessel.

A 5 liter wakeboard is not very seaworthy !
It would be better to just use a thicker wetsuit - it'll add 7 to 10 litres flotation (sarcasm...)
---

All this leash debate, seems very good - but it all comes down to common sense !
Here, we recommend all beginners NOT to use a leash.
They are out in shallow water, and onshore conditions anyway - and the risk of getting hit, or having the board drag on the bottom - is way too high. They would snap a leash 20 times in just one day.
When you progress further - we recommend (for those who can't live without it...) using a leash and a helmet. You will get further out even in dead onshore conditions - and crash quite often. Here the leash is fine, and will help you.

Then, when (if) you get advanced, you will definitely ditch the leash for good.

Except for these rare cases where you go out in offshore conditions or far out in sideshore etc. Here you can just use common sense and think: What will happen if i brake a line while I am far out, or something ?

But 99.9 % of all kiters go out in onshore/side-onshore conditions, where you will be much safer without the leash - and you can always get safely ashore quite fast - no matter what happens (just drift...) !

Take a minute or two, and always think about the consequences of a failure in the material - and act responsibly from there.

This goes for the leash or no-leash too !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I stay away from leashes in powered conditions and I never use a leash with my wakeboard...

In lightly powered conditions I may every now and then use a leash with my directional......

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

But I allways wear a helmet. I used to use the leash more often but I've been stretched too many times for my liking and also have had the leash stretch so much that it snapped and pinged me on the back of the foot.... it blinkin hurt.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2