Forum for snow- and landkiters
kieran
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kieran » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:42 am

Hi Folks,

I fairly new to kite buggying and are looking at getting a new kite. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand/type of kites I should consider ?

I should point out that I am not interested in beginners kites - I've been kiting surfing for a couple of years and so I am not a stranger to power kites.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Kieran.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:35 pm

Look at foils for land flying. They don't have bladders that will break. I am a huge fan of the PeterLynn ARC 4line foil without bridles. They are simple to setup and fly and pack up quickly. They have good range, depower, power and simplicity. You can't ask for more.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:34 pm

Hi V,

Thanks for the reply. From my general observations it appears to me that most buggyers tend to favour foils over inflatables. Apart from popping bladders (and cost), is there any other reason why buggyers prefer foils ?

I have been out in my buggy using my inflatables on a couple of occations, and they just seem to have too much power for buggying. Could it be that the power of foils is better suited to a buggy ? I've not really flow foils before so I'm not sure if this is the case.

K

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:14 pm

I fly ARCs on land and water and fly them amongst other blimp riders on the water. I would say the size foil you use is roughly similar to the inflatable in power, unless you use a bridled foil. The ARCs have no bridle (you can see the photos at the site) so it has a projected wind calculation to figure out the power much like a blimp. A bridled foil uses the bridle to hold its shape more open to the wind, so it generates more power for its size (due to more wind).

Pros: more power, sits back in the window more for land riding where its usually more gusty

Cons: bridles can get messy, can't fly as far to the edge to get more upwind, not as fast turning

Pros and cons of inflatables vs foils on land:

Foils are more durable and usually cheaper. They have more control. With an ARC, you can fly the kite backwards, so if you're tired, you just back it down to the ground and rest, then relaunch easily. Relaunch on snow for a blimp is pretty much impossible. Cold hands do not like pumping bladders. Setup is much longer for an inflatable so you don't get as much riding time. Inflatable self launch on land is not easy. I can go on and on...

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:22 pm

thanks again for the info. i just had a look at my local kite dearler's website and wasn't aware arcs were so cheap compared to inflatables. i'll give them serious consideration.

ian.wood0
Rare Poster

Postby ian.wood0 » Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:51 pm

Hi Kieren,

If I where you I would not buy a surfing kite for buggying. The Arc does fly well and gives a good pull but it has far to much uplift for buggying. You will,more often than not,find yourself flat on your back being dragged the opposite way from the direction of your buggy. wheras foils give more forward thrust than uplift
For all round kitest take a look at the :-
1)Flexifoil Blade 2
2)Elliot Echo Classic
3)Airea Bronto
And for kites with more speed and less uplift:-
4)Libra Bora 2
5)Any Jojo
6)Ozone Razor

Take a look at http://www.kitesales.com for an unbeatable deal. I get all my kites from this site.

good flying

Ian Wood

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:44 am

thanks for your comments ian.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:34 am

Have you considered C Quads....

They are neither foils or LEI's and are very powerful for their size. They are also very cheap kites but despite this they go very well with the buggy...

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:00 pm

hey blownaway,

i hadn't considered c quads. i've heard about them, but don't really know much about them. i had recently decided i was going to purchase an ozone razor. however, before i go out and get this kite, i'd be interested in hearing any comments you (or anyone else) may have on how c quads compare with the razor.

kieran.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:47 am

Sorry I have never used an Ozone razor so i can't compare performance to the C Quad.

BLOWN AWAY

Return to “Snow / Land”