Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Psychotic hang time

Forum for kitesurfers
Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:01 pm

To marc munzer,
The 13.2 second hang time was caught on video, the problem is the dude went so high he leaves the frame for a few seconds, so other people could argue that the time is still running while he is out of the frame. There is no doubt, i was told by flysurfer, it is on video and will be released soon. It was a jump with the psycho, not sure which size, not sure which flysurfer team rider. There were many witnesses including Fadi Issa, Jeff Tobias, and others.
By the way, when are you going to show us some more videos and pictures from the foilfes? we would really like to see them.
Good winds,
Andres

mmunzer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmunzer » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:56 pm

Hi Andres.

Who did you hear it from? Rumors like this are of major significance. I mean, the world record is 10 seconds with an inflatable. So a little foil comes along and gets 13.2 seconds. Other world records are broken by 1/100 of a second, not 3 seconds...

I still don't have any of the video shot at FoilFest. I will post it as soon as I get it.

Best regards,

Marc
GoExtreme.dk

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:20 pm

yeah but you got to keep in mind that tis sport is different in that it is still relatively new,

luk
Rare Poster

Postby luk » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:29 am

nice video,

just wondering why it says jojo.rm on the video clip if it is a warrior 16.5?

jojo is a brand of kites
the rm model is their highest performing land kite.

so is this a video clip of a jojo rm kite?? if so what size??

just curious??

cheers,

luk
On 2002-10-20 19:03, http://www.kite-surf.com wrote:
Here is a link to a 1.1MB alltime-classic hangtime movie, that some of you might already know. It was a Warrior 16.5 with a lot of hang time (the spot was the same lake where I tested the Psycho last Friday):

http://www.epplesee.de/jojo.rm

Man, this vid makes me smile :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: http://www.kite-surf.com on 2002-10-20 19:03 ]</font>

mikes
Medium Poster

Postby mikes » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:09 am

Just a coincidence. This jump was discussed on the Yahoo kitesurf group last May:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/message/53963

Oh yea the .rm (actually .ram) is the file extension because it's a Real Player file.
just wondering why it says jojo.rm on the video clip if it is a warrior 16.5?

jojo is a brand of kites
the rm model is their highest performing land kite.

so is this a video clip of a jojo rm kite?? if so what size??
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikes on 2002-10-22 05:54 ]</font>

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:17 am

Seriously is this Real? The Dude is just like Floating There! If you look at the water, its Totally Flat! I don't want to be a NaySayer or AnyThing, I really hope this is Real, but Man, thats Insane! I think there might be some Video Manipulation In There. Please Verify this for me!

Cheers :smile:

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:03 am

no video manipulation, the spot is a small lake in germany, which is sort of set in a hole. The place they take off from is where the person taping is standing, so the wind is offshore, that would explain the flat water. Also, the guy who makes the jumps nickname is "Jojo", .rm is for real media, it is the file extension. It looks to me as if he got a big boost by some gusts, by the way, i had been told the kite he was using was a maniac 9.25, the bar seems small for a warrior 16.5!?
Marc, please let us know when more media is available from the foilfest website, we would love to see it. i loved the first pictures you posted and the kite articles as well. By the way, have you had more time on the psycho's yet?
Good winds,
Andres
p.d.Frank told me about the 13.2 video clip

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:49 am

The "JoJo" hangtime is obviously a gust effect, but not just wind speed gusts.
Especially if it is a lake, with very non-steady winds.
On the sea - when a gust approaches you - you can see the gust just 50 meters away, blowing with very high winds - but it can still take a few minutes to travel the 50 meters !
Why is this ? - well, the air in a "classic" gust will rotate in a cycle. On the front the wind is going up, and on the backside of the gust the wind is going down again. A small closed wind system in fact. The wind might also change direction sligthly (often to the right because upper winds are turned right - on the northern hemisphere), which is of importance for yacht/dinghy racing - or if you want to kite upwind real fast !

This wind system travels much slower than the wind speed in the gust - thats why you can be just leeward of a strong gust, and wait a loooong time for it to reach you.
And there can be updraft when the gust hits - thats why one see so many loftings on land.
Some park their kite overhead - and when the gust hits, WHAM - you get lifted ! And this is not only because of the horizontal windspeed - it will often carry a real (very small) updraft too.

Always keep the kite low, on land.

Apart from these gusts - there can be a kind of vertical wind "shear" effect, where the air has strong updrafts and downdrafts locally. This is particular evident if there are obstacles giving turbulence in the wind (hills far away to windward etc.), and in a lake you will see this phenomenon quite often.

Strong thermal lift is very rare on the water though - so this risk can be neglected. But the gusts are a similar system resembling a weak thermal system.

Having onshore or just side-onshore winds, and trees and/or hills - can give an immense amount of lift waaaaay out over the water.
This is very dangerous, but can also give you extreme hangtime - if you want to (indefinitely - like the para/hanggliders...).

But be careful - just a few meters of elevation on land, can lead to huge lift effects.

Just wanted to share this knowledge, if someone did'nt know...

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:01 pm

Oh boy.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:29 pm

Peter: send a copy to Rick Iossi - this needs be on a sign at every launch site. Big thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”