Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What lightwindkite on snow ??

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:51 pm

I got my Warrior 9,3 two month ago and I'm looking forward to use it on snow soon. I was just wondering what additional kite would be a good choice to get going below 10 knots in snow. I was thinking of getting a mastair 9m² as they are not that expensive anymore plus it was said that the mastair 9 is comparable to a warrior 12m². What do you guys think would be the best kite for real low-wind-snowkiting?

Thanks in advance.
Markus

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:45 pm

here's the funny fact:
in light winds, you gotta ride hard snow, no powder.
since you are able to stand on your board without moving (which is impossible on water),
you don't need as much power to get going.

i suppose that every softkite around 6-7m² which is built to fly and turn pretty fast would do the job.

Maris
Medium Poster

Postby Maris » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:42 am

I was snowkiting with 4,4 m2 NPW5 in 6-10 knot wind. So if you have 12m2 without lot of depower i guess you will not want to start it in more than 10knot and if the wind is gusty it will not be fun except if snoow is like powder and 50cm deep.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:15 pm

Last year I used mosquito 7.5 and 9.5 for snowboarding. The 9.5 would get me around and upwind on days when one of my friends, a former stunt kite world champion (1998?) and avid kite skier for many years , claimed there was no wind.

"what do you mean you went out the other day?" he would say in disbelief, "there was no wind!"

Actually the wind I think was varying around 6-9 mph on these days.

In normal conditions He usually uses a 6 meter foil with handles while I usually need the 7.5 to be powered up on a snowboard. He has a 7 or 7.5 meter kite for low-wind days but he doesn't like to use it because it is a "slow pig." I've tried his kite and agree.

Skis are kind of like a directional board for snow - you need less power and can not handle as much as a snowboard. One major drawback to skis is that it is not very comfortable to use a bar -handles work much better.

If the snow was wind packed and fast, the 9.5 would start to get pretty uncontrolable at around 10-13 mph on a snowboard.

On bare ice with skis I could get myself up to around 15-20 mph when there was almost no wind at ground level. I think the wind was around 4-6 mph higher up. Pre-inflating the kite was a total pain and I had to run upwind to get the kite in the air and carefully fly it back and forth to keep it there when I wasn't moving. Cruising around and going upwind in those kind of conditions is almost unnerving - I keep asking myself "how the hell am I going this fast?"

Anyway, this summer I got the flysurfer warrior 16.5. On the water it has about the same top end as my 9.5 mosquito but much, much more low-end. It has completely replaced my mosquito 9.5 for kitesurfing and I can't wait to see how well it works for light-wind snowboarding this winter.

I want to get the warrior 9.3 to replace my mosquito 7.5. On the water the 7.5 mosquito starts working well just at the point where the 16.5 flysurfer becomes uncontrolable.

Trent Hink

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:21 pm

Not that I'm guaranteeing the 16.5 warrior will work well, but if you want one I guess I'll mention that lately there are some new ones going for right around wholesale on e-bay.

I wish I could have found that deal when I bought mine.

Gunnar
Rare Poster

Postby Gunnar » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:17 pm

Quadrifoil XXXL (9,6sqm.) Super light fabric, Can fly in lighter wind then Rhea 14 and other big kites.

RC-Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby RC-Kiter » Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:10 pm

I think if you can get a 9m mastair cheap don't waste the chance and get it. It's got about the same power as a Warrior 12.5m but is much faster, which gives you lots of apparent wind and may even get you going earlier.

Greetings Ray

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:15 pm

I have 9.3 Warrior too and it working fine with skies 3 m/s>. 5-7 m/s i think its best for crusing and small jumps. So i dont think that you need another kite but if got mucho money get 15.5 phsyco

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:28 am

15.5 psycho for snow will a waste on money. 3 m/s is wind, less than that is not. @ 3 m/s you get going with a 14 m2 LEI or a 9.5 foil. 12.2 psycho is good for very low winds and get too big very quickly. Unless you are 110 kg.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:47 pm

Just use yours 9.3 Warrior its get going >3m/s, same wind as 15,5 Psyhco! Yes its true cos i have it.
But if you wanna jump in low wind it must be 16.5 Warrior, nothing less.
Regards Warrior

Return to “Snow / Land”