How to stop a kite inverting?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:47 am

Hi People, last night after a jump my kite inverted. Kite was down and as I was relaunching, kite got a couple of meteres off the water then caught a lull and fell back into the drink, it fell on the trailing edge and rolled over, the leading edge twisted, kite caught wind and ended up half the right way out and half inverted and I was buggered, I tried sorting it in the water but no dice.
Couldn't relaunch or even steer the thing in to shore as the kite was just a crumpled twisted mess, had quite an adverturous time getting home.
Anyway back on shore the kite wouldn't untwist until I deflated the leading edge, I've pumped it up and it had twisted but the bladder was still wet and I twisted it back, looks ok, but I'll test fly it to see it flies straight.
Any way of avoiding this, apart from never dropping it obviously?
Thanks
Jo

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:18 am

Hi,

i had that problem too and i'm nearly shure, that it is avoidable by giving the tubes more pressure. The kite has to stay "stable" while rolling over. furtheron i try to keep the kite out of pressure, when rolling over at (nearly) all price. Butter to throw it into safety than having a really ugly swim.

Greeetzzzzzz

Louis

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:35 am

Hi Louis,
The leading edge was pretty tight.
I think the back of some bladder caught in the water as the wind blew the kite over
Re:
i try to keep the kite out of pressure, when rolling over at (nearly) all price. Butter to throw it into safety than having a really ugly swim.
What do you mean by this?
You mean let it go to the leash if it looks like it's getting rolled by the wind?
It happened really fast, as soon as it fell into the water it twisted up as the wind caught it.
You mean it's better to let it go to the leash if it's going to fall back into the water?
Thanks
Jo

Greeetzzzzzz

Louis
[/quote]

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:51 am

Do you mean the kite goes inside out? ouch!! Keep tension on lines when relaunching. If you cant and it get blowed out of the water and looks getting inverted, be prepared to release you bar, this way you release all tension and is less likely to get it inverted. It you retrive the bar quickly you dont get your lines bad tangled.
A kite going inside out with good LE pressure could be a riped kite.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:17 am

Ok thanks Hernan,
Yeah it wasn't fun, half inside out, half right way round, a real mess, I suppose I'm lucky it didn't trash the kite.
All it did was stall slowly backwards into the water, crazy.
It was pretty gutsy and I was pretty overpowered at times and riding with the trim pulled all in and the back lines really loose which can't have helped. Kite had just relaunched when it got caught in a lull, lines went slack and it fell with the trailing edge hitting the water first, then immediately twisted as the wind caught it,
You reckon I should have dropped the bar as soon as I saw it hitting the water trailing edge first?
Jo

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:21 am

Hi jo
No, not inmidiatly but when you see the kite trashing the best thing is release tension.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:28 am

OK, Thanks man,
last night it just happened so fast, kite fell really slow then I reckon a few bladders on one side of the trailing edge got pushed under water by the wind as it flipped the other tip over, never happened before, usually the kite just sits on its leading or trailing edge.
Next time I see it touching the water wierd like this I'll just let go of the bar, thanks.
Jo

Ps: built bloddy strong these Fuels not to be ripped apart by something like this, leading edge was twisted all the way round the wrong way with half the kite inverted, getting blown around like this in 15 knots for about half an hour.
This morning I pumped it up and it did have a twisted shape, pulled it back into shape a few times and it looks fine.
Slingshots are bomb proof, apart from the bar winders that is, but they'll change them free

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-22 12:32 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:15 pm

....and the new bars for 2003 have new bar winders...makin it ALL bomber proof!

Johnny

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:33 pm

Hi Johnny,
Yep I'm gonna truck down the shop and pick up 4 of them free, apparently the 2002 winders had a production flaw.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:40 pm

On 2002-10-22 14:33, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
Hi Johnny,
Yep I'm gonna truck down the shop and pick up 4 of them free, apparently the 2002 winders had a production flaw.
Yeah, they'll poke your eye out. They almost did that to me. 8 months later, the left side of my face still has nerve damage from the accident. I cut those stupid things off after that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”