Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The death of windsurfing

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:56 am

Rick1,
Since you're studying the compulsion of wind and wave affliction, here's my case history....
age 13-25, surfing if Hawaii. Oahu South shore, Browns, Cliffs, Alamo, Pt. Panic, Black Pt. East shore Maakapuu, Sandy Beach,
North Shore, Haleiva, Waimea (shore break),and across from the dairy farm where the shrooms grow after the rain , long looooooong gentle walls, Sunset, Pipeline.
Big Island, Hilo, Honoli'i, South Kona, Kalapana black Sands before the erruption.

Age 28-38, flying sailplanes in England. Midlands, numerous 5 hour+ flights chasing cumluonimbus, 5,000 ft agl, 60- 100 kts at cloud base, Scottland, Dee River Valley, , 7 hour flights,10,000 ft mountain wave, ridge, thermal, rotor. Back to Florida, windsurfing, kite surfing. Training for 50s age group kite surfing comps.

Dix

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:35 pm

Hats off to DIX!! Keep going man...

Here's my contribution...

Never windsurfed, grew up 6 hours from the sea, so never really surfed, except for holidays, where it was mostly boogie boarding. Skate boarded for +-6 years, Snowboarded for 7, and 5 years paragliding. First time I saw a kite surfer was in early 2001, but my pockets were empty, in fact the paragliding addiction had eaten most of my pants away, never mind the pockets :grin:).
Bought my first real kite in Sept 2001 - AB 8.4 - and have been smiling (although a little nervous around the house when I notice the trees moving, and can't get out) ever since...
I think the paragliding experience gave me the most, as I had control of the kite extremely quickly. I see people learning today, getting thrown around the beach and I just don't understand it. Yes, the paragliding helped a lot, and all the sideways sliding on planks etc, - it was a natural sort of progression.

I am still so stoked on the speed of my progression. I am a weekend kiter (all weekend long if possible :smile:) but I noticed that since the day I started, until today, and hopefully for the next 50 years to come, I have progressed, and improved at an amazing rate, every session learning or discovering something new. I think this is what keeps the addiction so strong, the fact that I have progressed so fast, and that there is still so much more to go...

Hi everyone, my name is (Smelly), and I am a kite-a-holic. I have been addicted now for a little over a year, and I am proud of it
:grin: [stupid grin] :grin:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:00 am

On 2002-10-17 14:58, Anonymous wrote:
I still use my windsurfing boards as kite surfing directionals. The straps are now moved forward closer to the CG. Also added thruster fins.

What used to my small high wind windsurfing speedboard is now my huge lightwind kiteboard(and still speedboard!).
What used to be my lightwind course racing board is now my rescue kyak!

Then a twin tip for good days and jumping.
Yeah I did the same thing with my waveboard when I first started out... also converted surfboards make great lightwind boards....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:04 am

On 2002-10-18 03:02, aklbob wrote:
I've never windsurfed, but I reckon the main part of the population that will keep kiting will be the youngsters, kiting is hard on your body, harder than any other sport, so it'll attract the same age group that does surfing.. you'll get the odd 40 yo + person but most will be <30... the people that have the money and fitness and not too much responsibility :smile:
Haaaaa when I'm 60 I won't have any responsibility..... Kitesurfing can be physicial but it's still mainly technique.....

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:06 am

Before I started kitesurfing I was windsurfing for 2 years and up until recently I still windsurfed in windy conditions (25 knots +)....

Windsurfing will never die in this upper nuclear wind category....

Return to “Kitesurfing”