Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind underground board

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:26 pm

I am thinking about to getting a light wind board. I have a 147 (maybe should have gone for the 142 but...)wavetray and thinking of getting a Smorgasboard for the light stuff or a bigger wavetray. I weigh 80 kilos biggest kite is a 20m aero then a 13.5 arx and smaller. What wind speeds will a SB or bigger wavetray get me out in and having fun? Is the SB designed for really flat water and would a wavetray be more versatile? What does a wavetray 157 feel like?
thanks for any feedback.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:43 pm

I’m close to your weight. I was riding the 147WT as my main board and the SB as my secret light wind weapon. I call the SB that, because it really does add 2-3 knots of power to any kite. The SB does pretty well in the ocean, but the WT spoiled me, so I finally felt I had to get a light wind wave tray. I tried the 157WT. It’s OK, but not the light wind weapon the SB was. The 157 feels long and clumsy when you are used to the 147.

I finally decided to have Underground make me a wide 147 for light wind. Mine is 41cm wide. While I as having that built, I decided to go ahead and get a standard 142 WT and give my wife the standard 147 for her light wind weapon. I’m very happy with my board combination now.

If you want the SB, Underground is prototyping a new SB that is 41 wide.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-22 18:44 ]</font>

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:24 pm

im going that way my self a 137 wt is a little small for all but really powered up and i 157 i thought would be a pig so i ordered 147 extra wide and if it is as nice as my 137 ill probably sell the 137 lookin forward to the new deck Robbie

Adrian Roper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The pooey Christchurch
Favorite Beaches: Pambula River mouth, Safety bay
Style: bit of everything
Gear: Underground/ Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Underground Kiteboards

Postby Adrian Roper » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:11 pm

We have a new board for lightwind that we made for Chris Brent from Peter Lynns. It is called the Magic Carpet and is 157 x 43 cm. No wavetray tips. It is easier to ride than the 148 SB same width. slightly more overall rocker. Works great for bigger guys wanting more planing time. We also build any board in a lightweight carbon construction now, and recommend this for the MC as it is a pretty big board.
See Ya Adrian

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:26 pm

I'm about to order a Magic Carpet in the new lightweight construction. I'll post a report here when I've ridden it a few times. I've riden a SB a few times but in any chop the ride was quite wet - as I ride in chop 95% of the time it wasn't totaly to my liking. The magic Carpet sounds like it takes care of this!

Cheers
Callum

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:21 am

Thanks for the feedback. Dwight,what is the lighest wind you can get out on your wide WT?

thanks

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:34 am

On 2002-10-22 18:26, Anonymous wrote:
I am thinking about to getting a light wind board. I have a 147 (maybe should have gone for the 142 but...)wavetray and thinking of getting a Smorgasboard for the light stuff or a bigger wavetray. I weigh 80 kilos biggest kite is a 20m aero then a 13.5 arx and smaller. What wind speeds will a SB or bigger wavetray get me out in and having fun? Is the SB designed for really flat water and would a wavetray be more versatile? What does a wavetray 157 feel like?
thanks for any feedback.
Dude I also have a 20m AERO but for light winds I use a 6ft Underground directional... upwind in 10 knots no sweat easy as....!!!

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:36 am

The SB sounds like a good idea for flat water.... i'm looking for a light wind twintip board... I'm thinkin of getting one....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:18 am

On 2002-10-23 05:21, Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Dwight,what is the lighest wind you can get out on your wide WT?

thanks
I'm limited by my kite, not the board.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:34 am

If you have the 147 go for the SB or wait for the new SB.
I have a SB-like custom (150x43) same outline standard rockerline (not so flat), and 2" fins. It makes a BIG difference in light wind. There is not a board for marginal (6-8). Is for great fun in 8-12. I use it until 15.
It goes upwind like any other. We call it a coursekiting board! (good upwind angle=good jumping)great pop to. Very fun board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”