Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
JBKITE
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NAISH TORCH

Postby JBKITE » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:13 pm

Had my first real powered session on my 12m torch yesterday. This kite is insane!!!!
So much grunt, and turning speed is unbeleivable. A real new school kite. It sits deep in the window and pulls like a truck but flys super fast. A wikid wave riding kite, the speed in turning lets you put the kite exactually were you want it.
Great hight on jumps, you can go higher than any other mid/low aspect kite I've used, consitantly! Nearly to the hight I would get on my X4's. Hang time was good considering it's not designed for that. The low end pull and power of this kite make it perfect for power moves, kiteloops and wave riding.
The one pump system is unreal, I was on the water in no time! and the shift system which I have been using on my X4's already, just completed the package. I found that the torch really liked being on 24m lines, I flew it on the 27's first and was getting over powered too easily, once I was on the 24's It was a dream.
This kite is the future, smashin it naish!!!

JB

ekss18

Postby ekss18 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:09 pm

You say it sat low in the window....
So does that mean that it drags you down wind like some other kites that do the same?

Biel
Rare Poster

Postby Biel » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:05 pm

Ability to go upwind is not only determined by AR. The profile and "Angle of Attack" are also important parameters!

Earlier I wrote about the Torch 12;

The Torch is in my view the most extreme freestyle kite ever tried. SS Fuel (which I´ve used for a couple of seasons) and the vegas are in my eyes more of a freeride kite - they have better allround performance.

The Torch has a "slip" in the steering. This means that you need to pull the bar around 5 cm´s before it actually starts to steer. The reason is - my own theory - that you are able to hold on to the bar with one hand without actually steering the kite. - It just sits out there without any movement. This is nice when doing HP tricks. However when you force the bar over the 5 cm it turns fast and nice. The kite is really great for unhooked manouvers.

Shift = love. This system is just something for everybody whatever the manufactors then choose to call it.

The Torch has a very big windrange and a quite agressive profile ("AOA"). It just points upwind although its low/mid AR. It sits very nice in the window, and when you need power you just pull the bar. If you need to "kill" the power, you just push the bar away and you get an instant relief. This feature is very nice when riding waves and allow you to feel very confident when riding fast.

However - the Torch is not my type of kite. I rather go for the freeride type of kite! - but a kite with a shift looking system...

CBIEL

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:26 pm

thanks BIEL, it´s always helpful to read reviews from somebody who knows various brands/models and in this case I know same basis as you come from !

Wibbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wibbler » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:12 pm

Yeah Biel, good to hear from someone not pimpin' it big style, eh JBkite ?

So how were you getting overpowered by adding just 3m to your lines? wasn't Naish telling you that 24m is this seasons black, was it?

the doctor
Medium Poster

Postby the doctor » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:08 pm

Biel wrote:Ability to go upwind is not only determined by AR. The profile and "Angle of Attack" are also important parameters!

Earlier I wrote about the Torch 12;

The Torch is in my view the most extreme freestyle kite ever tried. SS Fuel (which I´ve used for a couple of seasons) and the vegas are in my eyes more of a freeride kite - they have better allround performance.

The Torch has a "slip" in the steering. This means that you need to pull the bar around 5 cm´s before it actually starts to steer. The reason is - my own theory - that you are able to hold on to the bar with one hand without actually steering the kite. - It just sits out there without any movement. This is nice when doing HP tricks. However when you force the bar over the 5 cm it turns fast and nice. The kite is really great for unhooked manouvers.

Shift = love. This system is just something for everybody whatever the manufactors then choose to call it.

The Torch has a very big windrange and a quite agressive profile ("AOA"). It just points upwind although its low/mid AR. It sits very nice in the window, and when you need power you just pull the bar. If you need to "kill" the power, you just push the bar away and you get an instant relief. This feature is very nice when riding waves and allow you to feel very confident when riding fast.

However - the Torch is not my type of kite. I rather go for the freeride type of kite! - but a kite with a shift looking system...

CBIEL
Wind Range?

Big Lebowski
Rare Poster

Postby Big Lebowski » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:40 pm

shift system is there for x3?

Brody
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pinnaroo
Favorite Beaches: Cabaret, Cocos, WA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Switch, Underground, NP

Postby Brody » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:03 pm

I am Naish kiter through and through so my thoughts on the Torch are driven by a personal preference towards Naish kites...but I tried to be as honest as I could. I am sure that most kites are equal in many aspects which will force manuafacturers to come up with other methods of attracting first time buyers or real innovation that will set them appart from the competition...

Have been sticking with X2's till now, tried the UDS thingy a while ago but the whole thing was torn to pieces when the one line on my 10m broke in 30knot wind...kite started flapping like a bat from hell and next thing I know I was holding nothing but air...the UDS release pin tore my depower leash to pieces...then decided to buy a new Torch 12 (all blue)...was a toss-up between Cabrinha and Naish.
Haven't flown either X3's or X4's but compared to my X2 10 and 14 I found the following:
1)Very "smooth" pull
2)When the bar is extended there is almost no pull. I shortened the QRL rope but the effect was marginal. A bit of an arm workout in light winds because I almost have to fly the kite unhooked the whole time for constant pull...but in higher winds (16-25) its magic!
3)When the bar is pulled towards you the kite's pull increases dramatically...it really feels like you are stepping on the gas. I haven't been able to get the same effect out of my X2's, regardless of line length configuration.
4)Spinning rotations are definateley a lot easier...the extra pop created when pulling the bar provides instant lift...especially when not using the kite for lift (kite at 45 degrees)
5)Have jumped a bit higher with my X2 10m but the landings with the Torch is a lot softer.
6)The kite turns a bit slower than my 10m but not much.
7) The fith line creates a bit of a tangle when setting up and also after self landings but that can be ignored since the canopy stays rigid even when really turning fast...even gusts do not affect it much.
8) Only dropped the kite once during a wipe out and when I popped to the surface the kite was on its side getting ready to launch again...so the extra line must be doing something right. This has never happend with my x'2...not even my 8m
9)Self landing is quite easy with the 5th line...I bring the kite down and then slowly reel in on the center lines. after about 1-2 meters of line the kites falls on its back and floats in the air with zero pull on the lines...can't do this with the x2's
10) The single strut is a definite winner and to me this improvement is really great...it also looks very neat in design.
12) Kite bag is nice for a backpack but impracticle for storing the kite
11)Paid $1000 for the kite, bar shift system, lines and bag in Bahrain (only one kite shop selling Naish, North and Peter Lynn) - bit of a rip-off

Return to “Reviews”